Gas Fire spares..... ?

Hello..

I have a Flavel outset gas fire (Regent model), and the 'spark generator' takes for ever and a day to ignite the gas. When new it would take one or two clicks of the control knob to fire it up, now it can take 10 times that before it springs into life.

Anybody know where I could track down spares for this fire, price them up, and decide if its worth repairing or replacing with a new fire?

Thanks

Reply to
alo

Do you mean you only get a spark on the 10th attempt? Or there's a spark every time but it's reluctant to ignite?

Reply to
Laurence Payne

Are you sure that you actually need spares, and that it doesn't just need cleaning and adjusting?

Is it sparking but not lighting the pilot, or simply not sparking?

If the former, make sure that the pilot jet is clean and that the spark electrodes and thermocouple are actually in the flame. [Occasionally the pilot jet on my Cannon fire gets partially blocked such that the flame isn't strong enough to keep the thermocouple hot - so the flame failure device turns the fire off - and I have to dismantle it and clean the jet with a bristle.

If the latter, make sure that the electrodes are clean , that the gap is reasonable, and that the insulation on the wires feeding them is sound.

If all else fails, you should be able to light it with a hand-held lighter. Gotta be cheaper than a new fire!

Reply to
Roger Mills

When I recently needed some radiants for an old gas fire, this company was excellent:

Gasworks, 299 Shirley Road, Southampton, SO15 3HU

Reply to
Rod

alo,

Would this link help?

Cash

Well I have taken the front off and cleaned the ignition system... and this has improved the ignition rate.... but, the switch itself (on the side of the model) is either broken or strained as it is sometimes freely turning around without activating anything in the switch itself.

It should click twice to cause the spark to occur.

A plastic item with a "D" shaped hole that fits onto a "D" shaped shaft... the metal clip that secures it onto the shaft appears to be broken, only half of it is there, allowing the knob to run freely around the shaft.

I will see if I can get a replacement 'knob' and take it from there.

Thanks

Reply to
alo