butt marker for door hinges

Hi,

Toolstation are selling butt markers:

bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Fred

markers:

> I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me

Bending, while holding a mirror, or bending accompanied by a very close friend ;o)

*Gets coat*.
Reply to
Lino expert

> I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me

At a guess, press the lugs on the handle side of the butt marker up against the edge of the door where the hinge is to fit, and hit the writing side with a hammer until the cutting edges sink in fully, then remove the marked wood area with a sharp chisel, starting from where the lugs butted.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

>>> I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me

Just noticed the depth scriber on the back of the handle, so turn over the handle, and use the depth scriber to set the depth of the cut, again just a guess, but perhaps you could have a play on a piece of scrap wood.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Yup - looks like you bang it with a hammer. Whilst it probably is some help, the best trick to speed setting hinges (IME) is a router with fence and a large diameter bit to quickly skim out most of the hinge recess, and finish up to the marked out area with a hand chisel. Personally I use rounded profile hinges so I can skim out exactly the required shape.

Reply to
RubberBiker

> I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me

Open lid of bin, throw butt marker in, close lid of bin.

Biggest heap of s**te I've ever bought.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Too true. I was suckered into buying a 'Hinge-pro' tool -

What a load of expensive rubbish. There is a reason why chisels are still being sold pretty much unchanged for the last 100 years. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Dave, if you're doing a lot of hinges, you might like to look at these:

diameter router bit, clamp-stops to the left and right, along with the fence to set the centering (or a home-made jig to do the lot)

- and you really can cut perfectly consistent hinges in seconds.

Reply to
RubberBiker

Nasty, splintery mess?

Reply to
RubberBiker

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Fred saying something like:

Face away from the mirror and bend over. Apply marker.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

>>> I bought one to try but there's no instructions. Can anyone point me

So the butt marker was a pain in the arse...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No, just wouldnt cut as expected, needed a very heavy hammer hit to even get through the cheap door outer skin, pretty impossible to keep straight when hacking out. Just nowhere near as easy to use as in the demo vid. But, on viewing the demo vid, it shows a REALLY soft piece of pine being cut into. Real world doors are far harder, especially the cheap grain effect doors that my customers like.

The idea is good, but the implementation is poor. A complete waste of time and money for me. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

> 25mm diameter router bit, clamp-stops to the left and right, along

I don't do many doors TBH, no money in it, but they do look good. Bit pricy though, most of my punters only want to pay twice that for the piggin door :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman