Repair gas fire glass?

Asking more out of hope than expectation, really, since the price of replacements is eye-watering. Has anyone repaired a cracked stove glass from a domestic gas fire? Ours has developed a crack across it. No-ones owning up to throwing anything at it, so it might just have been the heat getting to it after all these years.

Reply to
John Tetrad

You must use the proper glass - eye watering or not You risk much more than eye watering if you use normal glass.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You must use the proper glass - eye watering or not You risk much more than eye watering if you use normal glass.

-----

Thanks for the warning, but I'm not yet insane enough to use normal glass. I was just wondering if there was some miracle adhesive that could bond glass, and withstand high temperatures. I'm not really expecting to hear of such a thing, but it costs nothing to ask. I'd hate to find out /afterwards/ that I could have saved some money by doing such-and-such.

Reply to
John Tetrad

"John Tetrad" grunted in news: snipped-for-privacy@eclipse.net.uk:

You might try a company like

who will provide cut-to-order replacement glass windows which will likely be cheaper (though AFAIK that outfit deals with solid fuel stoves and maybe they are subject to GasSafe rules about this stuff?

Sure - I had a coal-burning stove with glass windows about 4" square, and one fell out and broke in two. I glued the two halves together with standard Araldite (NOT the crappy rapid stuff) and it was fine - in fact outlived the stove which had to be scrapped several years later.

Reply to
Lobster

Have you tried Googling for different suppliers to get the lowest price? Plenty here:

Chris Hogg