Fan oven

I have a Hotpoint fan oven just over two years old. Today the wife shouted me and told me that it had stopped working. When I got to it the clock was flashing, no fan and no heat. I pressed some of the buttons and all was well. I am too stupid to understand what the buttons do. The wall plug is secure, no problem there. This is the second time this has happened, last time was about three weeks ago.

Would a split second power failure cause this? The telly was on - no problems there. The electric clocks did not fail.

Cheers for any advice.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Loose connection to the oven clock circuit? The wife closes the oven door, momentarily breaks the connection and the clock needs resetting. ISTR that the clock PCB is probably held into place with blu-tac or similar on some ovens.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No heat, no fan and no light inside the oven. Clock flashing, buttons pressed and all is fine. Clock needs mains power to work or flash. Hmmmmmmm

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You will not have any heat or inside light with the clock flashing. Most ovens do not work until the clock is set. I guess it is a safety feature in the case of a powercut. So a loose connection to the clocks PCB will reset the clock and turn the oven off.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes of course. I'll take a look tomorrow. Or I'll try to take a look without pulling the entire thing to bits.

Help much appreciated, thanks.

Steve

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Hi Son had similar problem when he had new oven/hob fitted ,seem the oven was fed from the 30a DP switch for the old electric hob. Said switch was at side of hob where SWMBO stored the pans. When replacing cleaned pans they were pushed back to the wall sometimes catching the switch momentarily switching off the oven causing the clock to fail. Worth a look before dismantling? HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

More likely someone accidentally pressed a timer setting button. Oven is then off until the set time is reached.

Chris R

Reply to
Chris R

I thought this was the problem when it happened the first time. The plugs are secure, I put a bit of tape over the switches. Looks like it is the PCB.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Clock was flashing.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Could be that it was waiting for the ON time to be input?

Reply to
Chris R

Agreed - our Whirlpool one is similar. It flashes "STOP" when the power has been interrupted. Though it does not misbehave quite like the OP's!

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

Doubt it. It has been working fine since the last "event" which was over 3 weeks ago. After I had (Homer Simpson) pressed a button or a few all was fine. The clock was still flashing.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I never have easy problems. I always have problems that nobody has ever heard of. There is enough silicone in my dripping rainwater gutter joint to seal a Gunboat. Yet it still drips!!!!!!

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

I bet you are not going to read the manual to see what the buttons do.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I can't find the soddin' manual!!!!!! I've looked everywhere for it in the past. Anyway, the wife will not use the buttons. She has a wind up timer.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

"Mr Pounder" typed in an exasperated frame of mind:

Richard Head wondered if the manual can be accessed here:

Richard Head

Mr Pounder thanks Mr Head for reminding him to do this. Mr Pounder forgets things, thanks for the linkage.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder