British Gas Jobsworth

Page 4 of 4

Just 'cash job' here in Norfolk Though I did hear recently 'off invoice'.
Mark coughed up some electrons that declared:

Down south (Kent) we would generally say a number of variations involving the word "cash" with the implication there will be a not-insubstantial discount. "Off the books" I've heard too.
Cheers
Tim
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:12:33 +0000,it is alleged that Tim Southerwood

My experience in Southampton is the same, many variations involving 'cash'. Off the books here tends to refer to 'I won't tell HM Revenue and Customs if you don't".
For less 'under the table' work, "private job" tends to be the norm here, but that would usually be outside your normal paid hours.
--
_
( ) ASCII ribbon campaign against html e-mail

I'm sure I heard the term "doing a rabbit" by workers in that big shed that used to be in Wooston. No idea how that came about.
G.Harman
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I've occasionally come across a "Friday job" in relation to a legit self-employed person doing a less-than legit cash-job for someone s/he knows and trusts.
--
Martin

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:41:30 +0000, John wrote:

I've come to this thread rather late.
I am surprised that the meter exchange operator (almost certainly not BG and probably not National Grid Transco if the work was requested as a non -emergency) would not change a meter where there was the old lead pipe on the customer side.
I CBA to look up the precise category of risk for continuing using lead composition pipes. It is absolutely no ID (Immediately Dangerous) it is certainly at least NCS (Not to Current Standards). It just might be AR (At Risk).
If it was AR then the Transco man should have requested to cut off the gas (you could have refused) and labelled the installation. The fact that he didn't means that either he was trying to be helpful (at some very small risk to himself) allowing you to continue to have gas before the upgrade is made.
If it was not AR then the Meter Exchange Sub contractors are possibly gold plating the regs, but given that we all seem to be forced to operate collectively in a game of pass-the-parcel-containing-blame...
I believe that one flexible used to be permitted, two are now permitted. However most of us (RGIs) probably wont have an anacondas to hand with us. But I would normally carry a BS 764 (?) meter outlet fitting. The work involved is likely about 30 minutes all in. So a call out plus £15 for the materials is the likely cost.
There is a small chance that if the current gas installation is leaking then much more work will arise.
Who instigated the meter chance? If it's the gas supplier let /them/ push the boat out on this one. Unless the meter is blocking the flow of gas they most likely will err in the customer's favour.
HTH
As for asking the 'jobsworth' to do a job for you at the peril of his day job. Was that ever likely to be a starter? I have known transco guys occasionally do a quick look for leaks on the installation side - perhaps to disconnect a leaking cooker, say, and thus leave the customer with heating.

The meter change was instigated by BG a letter to "The Occupier"

I didn't ask him to do a 'foreigner/Guvvy/PJ/ Cash In Hand etc. I just thought if he could do it then it would save me and my tenant a lot of hassle arranging a re-visit etc. After all he had to disconnect the meter to put in a new one, so why not change the lead piping at the SAME time? Especially as he said "This is occurring more and more because of the new regs", Why not let the 'engineers' do it at the same time and save everybody a lot of messing about? I have decided to let my CORGI guy do MY side and let BG/National Grid talk do 'their' side. For the sake of <100 I cannot be bothered with the conversations with them! Why does it have to be so diifficult? The world has gone mad!
John
John wrote:

John,
I think that your statement "The world has gone mad!" really is quite correct and many, many perfectly reasonable people who would like to help, just protect their 'arses' in this litigious age and refuse even the most simple of requests - galling as it may be.
That's life today I'm afraid!
BRG