moving a batten lamp and replacing a switch

I want to move a batten style lampholder and replace a switch. The switch is two gang wired to switch to separate lamps the switch as all red wires with two blacks in a connector. The batten as single core black in one side and single core black in the other side with a two core red and black. I tried to follow exactly as it was wired and i am now afraid lost. I cannot get any lights to work. what did i do wrong? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Reply to
staffo

you get householder to turn all lights on you know you have got wireing right Dave

Reply to
staffo

If you look carefully and you haven't pulled it off some of the blacks should have a little red sleeve at the end. They are "switched lives".

It'd help if you had another go at your second sentence, I can't work out what you meant to say.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

thanks for the reply Andy, managed to sort it one of the blacks was the switch live just as you pointed out.

Reply to
staffo