B&Q Kitchen

This is a general question that might be more at home in another group - please point me in the right direction if so. We've just had a quote for a new kitchen (supply and install) from B&Q and I'm just going through the quote. There are a couple of things on it that I'm not sure about.

1) We have been quoted £67 and £72 to certify electrical and gas installation work respectively. This is on top of the installation fee of £150 each for the gas oven and hob. My question is: if the work is carried out by a competent (trained and qualified) person in the first place, why do we need the work certifying?

I think the answer is probably that the installers are not directly qualified and need their work checked in which case I don't want them to do the job! It would almost certainly be cheaper to get a spark in!

2) We have been quoted £215 for "Install Mains Earth Bonding". I could be way off the mark here but I thought that was installing earth clamps on water pipes. Is that the case? If so the work was done throughout when we had the consumer unit changed a few years ago.

I don't really have much confidence in B&Q after seeing this. They also the want to charge

£77 to re-site and plug in our own fridge freezer (the one that's not actually being moved), £73 to plumb in a dishwasher we haven't yet got (the water and waste connection points are there already) and £150 to plumb and wire the washing machine (again it's already there and is not going anywhere.)

Cheers Chaps

Reply to
Tom Reason

That's virtually a grand (plus vat?) without any actual kitchen install. I'm no expert, but that sounds more like they're deliberately trying to price themselves out of the job, rather than a simple rip-off.

Reply to
Martin

< long post snipped >

B & Q charge about double what an independent installer will charge, and the standard of workmanship can be poor.

For some examples of dissatisfied B & Q customers see:

Steer well clear!

Reply to
DIY