armchair upholstery ?

I have two ancient armchairs which really ought to go but which I would like to keep for sentimental reasons. But their springy bits have gone unspringy, and something somewhere goes Boiiiing every now and then. Does anyone know where to find out about getting them perked up, or better still doing it myself? I've not had much luck on google, probably because I don't know what I'm talking about and keep searching for the wrong thing.
thanks
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:33:52 -0000, "Oxymel of Squill"

Just look in yellow pages for "Upholsterers".
What you want to find is an old fashioned one that retails and has a good stock of bits.
Sadly they are a dying resource as the owner retires and closes down.
As to the chairs open them up carefully and see how they are made. Take pictures of each operation as it can be impossible for an uninitiated to redo the work, simple though it may be.
This will be like a chinese puzzle as the aim with decently made chairs was to close the work in such a way that it didn't show. You will have to hunt for the start entrance. Each part of the construction should follow in reverse.
My chairs are not sprung but I have repaired four of them by getting old rubber tyres from a car dealer and then cut them into strips. I then pulled the strips over the frame and it has worked very well.

like
unspringy,
what
On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:33:52 -0000, "Oxymel of Squill"

Sorry forgot to add this. Expensive but lists most interesting bits. (Shop local if you can)
http://www.upholsteryshop.co.uk /
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:33:52 +0000, Oxymel of Squill wrote:

==============================If you can be bothered to trace it one of Norm Abraham's (New Yankee Workshop) programmes showed a complete routine for upholstering an armchair.
Cic.
--
Testing UBUNTU Linux

local night school? Wrong bit of the universe! When they advertised a 'taster' for Russian course I fetched up to find it not being held. When I complained they told me that it had been held. Later admitted to the lie. But I think relying on them for anything would be hope against experience

Hi Group, That's what I did too. As an early retired person I did the day course. Not only was the course very good but the people knew about shops that supplied all the kit. 8 women and one man (me) was interesting as well. What area do you live, someone may know of a suitable shop, often they are tucked away down a side street. Go for it, if it is really old it may have the conical springs - newer ones will have the bent wire things unless they are expensive ones Alan