Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Exterior wall painting
In the next few weeks, I am going to paint the outside walls of my house with masonary paint but, before this, I have to sort out some fine mould/algae. They are hardly noticeable but can someone tell...
2
2

screw fit sockets source ?
Hi, We see as many screw fit 100W, 60W etc bulbs as bayonet ones on the shelves in B&Q, Tescos etc, yet I am trying to find a screw fit socket to replace a broken bayonet type 'pendant' one to...
4
4

Fixing Cistern to wall
Hello all, I've just finished tiling my bathroom. I left the plastic bolts on the wall for fixing the cistern to. Now I find that I can't get the cistern to locate on these bolts for the...

Requirements for new bathroom partition wall.
I'm splitting a bedroom to make a smaller bedroom/dressing room and a new bathroom. What are the requirements (that BCO will pass) in terms of minimum width, sound deadening, insulation etc. for...
3
3

British gas cut through my gas pipe
Hi, Not sure this is the right place. Today A british gas engineer came to my house to install air ventilation. when he drill a hole on my wall, (there is a gas pipe in the wall), he cut through the...
10
10

Track of your possessions
A home inventory is the last thing to cross a home owners mind. As time goes by the stuff piles up and you lose track of what you bought, and where it is. I would like to introduce Stuff-It the fun...
1
1

CORGI engineer required to install new radiator?
If I replace ( or indeed add) a radiator does it have to be done by a corgi engineer or can I do it myself (and have no hassles when I come to sell the house)? . Obviously I will need to drain down...
89
89

A couple of questions about gas pipe installation.
1. Do I have to have a CORGI registered plumber to replace a gas hob which has a bayonet hose connection, with a new gas hob? I'll just be reconnecting with the bayonet connection and not touching...
26
26

Help to change door seal please
Hi I have a hotpoint aquarius WM32a washing machine, which I need to replace the door seal boot. Can anyone explain how to change it please, using PDF if neccessary. TIA Terry
2
2

Circuit breakers and 'tripping characteristics'
Can someone explain the difference between 'C' and 'B' type circuit breakers? I appreciate that they have different 'tripping characteristics' and hence one (B?) will trip...
10
10

toilet bowls and ceramic floor tiles
The received wisdom appears to be that whereas it's ok to place a toilet on top of laid vinyl flooring, if using ceramic floor tiles the toilet should be positioned first and the tiles cut around...
10
10

European designed toilets
Just recently replaced my bathroom and chose a toilet from a brochure - a 'No-Code' Igloo. ()(Although this web-page shows the Igloo - I did not buy the product from this retailer). What I...
6
6

OT: TV Repair??
Sorry to be so far off topic, and I will not be doing it myself!! You guys seem to have quite an extensive knowledge of most things. My TV (24" CRT Hitachi) has tonight developed a Pink tinge all over...
68
68

Block paving and weed/moss growth
I had a new block paving driveway installed several years ago. I considered a patterned concrete drive - but just don't like the look of them too much. The big disadvantage of block paving is, of...
6
6

CH Cold Flush
Hello everyone, I have a Ravensheat LS80 Little Star boiler where the DHW heats okay and then boiler turns off. I have been doing some research into this and have come up with replacing the DHW sensor...