Portable Home Generator Questions

Page 6 of 6

What he said.
One station in Clyde, NY. Was in the small town fishwrapper, years ago. The tanks needed to be repaired some how. The owner just quit selling gas, and focussed on quick food, beer, lottery tickets, etc. Other gas stations picked up the slack
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Lotsa former stations around here that now do repairs only, and tanks have been decommissioned in place or removed. In most cases, tanks were end-of-life, and state and/or insurance underwriter said they would have to be replaced with modern expen$ive plastic 2-layer tanks with the seepage alarms and such. There are probably now only 25% as many gas stations that there were in 1960 or so, nationwide. I think there are maybe 3-4 traditional gas and service bay stations left in the town, almost all having converted the service bays to retail space, and most of those eventually replacing the building entirely.
-- aem sends...
Jay-T wrote:

Duh!
The legislature in Texas passed a law recently (in light of the highway confusion occasioned by people trying to flee Hurricane Rita), that gas stations on official evacuation routes had to top off their storage tanks to at least 80% capacity. The law made no mention of emergency power to run the pumps.
I've considered getting another generator, appropriate cables and tools, and just waiting for the next emergency. I'd then toot up to the biggest gas station that was just sitting there in the dark, the owner or manager weeping, and offering to power-up his business for, oh, say $50/hour.
Now, that's the free market in action. Find the demand, meet the need. Charge appropriately.
You can expect the business owner to reply "Well, we've got all these expensive electronic pumps, and I don't want to risk them getting fried."
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

He would make so much money charging extra and selling his tanks fast you could charge 500$ an hour and get it.

Many states/locals do require certain key stations to have backup power. Not all stations, but some.
Natural gas is highly dependable in NY. A natural gas generator makes sense. Or as you say, you can use your own gasoline to power the generator.
The answer, in part. Is that the government and the anti-gouging laws. I've heard that gas stations make nearly no mark up on fuel. Which is why most of them sell coffee, candy, beer, etc. Supposing a gas station installs a generator, and has it wired in. How do they recover the cost of the generator? Well, the only way I know is to sell gasoline during a power cut. But, is that actually cost effective? I doubt it. Even if they have cars lined up, the once a year or so doesn't provide enough mark up to cover the generator. Unless they increase the price of gas during the power cut. But they "aren't allowed" to do that. So, the stations say never mind, there is no financial reason to do so.
Requiring them by force of law, to spend money on generators. Well, that sounds like more big government telling people to do what's not financially practical. If there was good financial reason to install generators, they would have done so already.
I'd rather repeal the price gouging laws, and restore some of the freedom to the "free market". If they want to install a generator and charge ten bucks a galon during power cuts, that's fine with me. Don't want to pay ten bucks a galon? Fine. Go to some other gas station that's cheaper.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yep. Even during the oil embargo under Carter, there was no shortage of gasoline - there was only a shortage of CHEAP gasoline.
If the gas stations could set their own price, I'm sure some would install generators.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Diesel beats both gas and propane/lpg/nat-gas hands down. Diesel also stores more easily, and most diesel generators run just fine on home heating fuel. Down side? Diesels are a bit noiser perhaps. Upsides? Good storage on the fuel (doesn't degrade in storage, but may require an algicide).

Safely? Hard, you need a good/proper storage tank. Consider checking Northern Tools for tanks.

How are you going to rotage 150 gallons of gas? If it is stale, you sure you want to put it in your car?

No, a gallon of propane has less energy than a gallon of gas. And a gallon of gas has less energy than a gallon of diesel.

No, but your question says you need to talk to an electrican about hookups before you kill yourself or someone else. <g>

Probably, but I doubt you will get away with that type of a setup. I don't think any gas company will fill a tank (150 gallons) feeding a 150 ft line to a generator.

The very best one you can afford. NO cheap Chinese crap!!!

Search google.com for the words...
"Electronics friendly" generator
(Including quotes.)