Framing on Slab - Out of Square

Page 2 of 2
Hambone wrote:

I am currently studying to become a carpenter. We just finished the section on foundations and slabs. As part of the program, we were told that as much as a 1" overhang is OK, but if it is more than that, to consider getting it fixed. The building code here, Ontario, specifies a minimum of 38mm, (1 1/2") of support. If you are using 2x4s, you have 3 1/2", less your 1 1/2" overhang, so there is still 2" of support.
Since the walls are now up, you don't have a lot of choice, but fortunately you are working with a slab. It should be fairly easy to dig out to the bottom of the slab, along that one section, drill in some concrete screws, left partway out, layout a new form, and fill the void. If it is only 1 1/2" at the widest location, then depending on the length you can probably get away with hand mixing a couple bags of cement/agregate/water and fill the void yourself.
As far as it being shoddy work by the construction crew, I would direct the issue to whomever laid out the concrete framing. It either was not located in the correct place to start with, or there was not enough reinforcing and the forms moved before or during the pour.
Carolyn Marenger