Framing square adjustment

I just got a new framing square and it is off by about one half of a degree from 90 . can any one tell me how to get it right on Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Samrocky

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Need a piece of stock like a sheet of ply / mdf, etc. (or work bench) that has an edge that is straight and at least as long as the longest side of the square. Lay the square along the edge (long leg to the left) and strike a line along the perpendicular leg using a fine point pencil or other marking took that will give you a good edge to compare to. Now, swing the long leg from the left side to the right side (180deg swing) and align the perpendicular edge along the line you just drew. The line should line exactly for the full length. If it does not:

  1. Top edge of square is to the right of the line while the lower edge is on the line: Adjustment = Use a center punch and about 3/16" to 1/4" from inside corner of square, tap (medium to heavy) the punch with a hammer to "open" the square.

  1. Top edge of square is on the line while the lower edge is to the right of the line: Adjustment = Use a center punch and about 3/16" to 1/4" from outside corner of square, tap (medium to heavy) the punch with a hammer to "close" the square.

  2. Repeat alignment checks and big hammer procedure as needed.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Reply to
Steve

Take it back and replace with one with less error is all I can suggest

Otherwise, lots of patience and hand files can fix this

John

Reply to
John Crea

and placing a ball end blow directly opposite another ball end blow through the thickness of the square works even better.

Reply to
Bridger

Just to clarify: we're whacking on the flat of the blade, right? I.e., at the tip of the "v" below? Then the followup post about peening opposite sides makes sense to me. ____ | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | v|___________ |______________|

Reply to
australopithecus scobis

yep

Reply to
Bridger

Correct. And even though some others stated using the rounded end of a ball peen hammer - that is a bit of overkill since any displacement of the metal at those points will have an effect. But since this is a carpenter's square and not an engineering square - hammer away.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.