kitchen remodle dishwasher plumbing advice

new to this but have some homeowner experience. planning on remodeling my kitchen people tell me the drain for the dishwasher maybe a problem--I am in the process of doing some homework on this like dimensions etc.

kitchen galley is 8 feet 6 inches now has a refrigerator double basin sink and a stove--I want to remove the sink and use the area for a smaller sink and a uncounter dishwasher.

from the edge of the fridge to the main drain drain is 31 inches ( drain is a 2 1/2 pipe coming from the wall with trap for the sink) from the edge of the fridge to the first water pipe is 25 inches--any advice on how to install the drain really is appreciated--I can email a photo of the current drain plumbing. I am planning to make a mock up of the drain/trap to see what maybe the problem--undercounter dishwasher dimension I have is a with of 23 9/16 inches.

I want to really have some ideas of what is required before I seek any advice from plumbers/kitchen remodels etc.

tia peter

Reply to
ilaboo

There is an adapter that replaces a component of your sink drain. That is where you attach the dishwasher. They also make an attachment, that if needed poke through the back of your sink, to allow a vent.

Reply to
Bill

Google "air gap."

Reply to
Notan

Who knew... One of these days I will figgur Google out..

Reply to
Bill

Replace the drain out of the sink to one that has the Y pipe for the dishwasher (the part between the bottom of the sink and the P-trap). It's also helpful to make sure the sink is set up for an air gap. The air gap will help keep the dishwasher from rattling the pipe. The distance is unimportant as long as it does not exceed the length of drain hose provided with the dishwasher (usually about 6'). The waste water from the dishwasher is pumped (not gravity fed).

Reply to
LightsAREon

Generally called a "dishwasher tailpiece" or "dishwasher branch tailpiece".

The OP didn't mention a disposal, but at dishwasher can also attach to the disposal, and regularly rinsing the disposal with hot sudsy water sure helps keep it from getting stinky.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Reply to