Roomba vs. Trilobite

Page 2 of 2

I'll have a go at this one. I'd like a Roomba that integrates with a whole-house vac system so that when it docks, it also empties its bin in addition to recharging. Add to that a timer option where I could have it make its rounds at a certain time daily.
- Mark.
Will it fall downstairs?
Bonnie
BruceR wrote:

Yes, it takes some getting used to. If you have trained your mind to like nice neat patterns on the carpet, and that means "clean" to you, then crop circles will probably drive you batty. I had the same initial reaction until I got used to it.
I also found that I couldn't stand to watch the Roomba work. I'd want to redirect it because it *looked* so inefficient in its patterns. Took awhile to learn to trust that it will eventually, in its own haphazard way, get to every area (and many that I usually skip when using a regular vacuum - like under the bed, under the sofa, under the dining room chairs).
I did find that turning it on before I left the house works best for me. That way, I don't have to stand there watching it. The whole purpose is to save time anyway. Standing over it fretting might've saved sweat work of pushing a vacuum, but it wasn't saving any time.
jen

I also have a question regarding the Roomba...
How do these do in an area where this is both carpet and hardwood or linoleum flooring? Can it go from one to the other and back?
It would seem that going over that "hump" into the carpeted area might be difficult.
Thanks, Brigitte

Yep, and it adjusts as needed when doing it.

Ours climbs onto thick area rugs on carpet pads on the vinyl floor with no problems.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (aniram) sez:

The Trilobyte is much smarter than a Roomba, but this doesn't turn out to matter much in performance. Hit enough areas and you get them all.
The Discovery series is much more reliable than the Red series and has some other features in it such as faster charging, remote-capable, etc. Also a much bigger bin.
We have a Discovery. It works quite well; it cleans hard floors (wood, textured vinyl) wonderfully even of cat litter, and gets closer in than our vacuums can. It does a nice job of sweeping the plush carpets, but for real cleaning of them, the central vac with the electric powerhead is really unbeatable. So we view the Roomba as a way to keep the house barefoot-clean, with a good vacuuming of stairs and carpets done every other week with real equipment.

Both Trilobyte and Roomba do, though they call them "filters" and they last a long time. And so, of course, does our central vacuum, but again you don't replace it often. And our various other vacuums, except for a Eureka for which Sears sells bags.

Roomba and Trilobyte aren't that way. But if you buy such a beast, I do suggest you get it as a place with a good return policy (in case you don't like it) and that you buy the extended warranty. Sharper Image, for example.
aniram wrote:

Eek! For that price, I'd buy a Roomba to vacuum the house, *and* a Robomower to mow the lawn! (Robomower is a very well made machine and has been worth every penny for us).

I suspect a lot of it is brand name alone. Electrolux is known to command top dollar.
jen