Copper and Other Metals

I'm about to re-roof my house, and I'm going to be using some copper metalwork (eave drip, valleys, etc.). I'd like to know two things:

  1. Are there any other metals that don't mix with copper (Can I use galvanized roofing nails)?
  2. What is the most common way to clean and/or polish copper (This will need to be done every year or two)?

Thanks,

-John

Reply to
johnandhan

Mix? The copper will eventually oxidize (corrode) to a green patina. The galvanized nails are fine.

Vinegar and table salt will polish copper. You best bet is to stay off your roof to maximize the life of it.

Reply to
Phisherman

I don't think people polish their copper roofing.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I think you're supposed to use brass nails, but galvanized probably OK too.

Well, some of the trophy houses around here keep their copper trim polished -- though I seriously doubt they DIY.

Cheers -- Pete Tillman Tucson

Reply to
Peter D. Tillman

Normally, if you do not want any oxidation, it's a patina and usually desirable, you could seal it with a lacquer or polyurethane, or some such. Could be sprayed on easily when needed to in the future.

Reply to
Rick Rider