Need help with Window Cleaner

Nov. 4th, 2004
Hi There:
Changed some windows around my house and am having a problem cleaning them. Windows - inside out - are dirty and seems to have sort of a greasy film to it. Tried Windex, a 50/50 mixture water/vinegar with a dash of soap it it using paper towel and they still don't seem clean.
Maybe using newspaper would help?
What else could I use?
Thanks for your help.
Jacques
Using a rag or sponge, clean your windows with Dawn dishwashing detergent. Add 1/2 cup household ammonia to the water. Rinse. Polish with Windex and paper towels.
On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 13:25:29 GMT, "Jacques Lorrain"

Hi Jacques
Are the windows in an area where smoke, either from cigarettes or cooking or possibly even from a garage?
If so, you may want to give them a light washdown with alcohol first. Even 71% Isopropyl will do the trick quickly but I prefer the 91%, then was them with window cleaner.
I used to own a restaurant eons ago, and the only thing that would remove the film that builds up on the windows, especially on the sunny side of the building was alcohol. Except for the glass on the windows in the fireplace in the lounge. For those windows we used a very dilute solution of Muriatic Acid to cut the soot that would stick to them. This also works great on glass front wood stoves also!
TTUL Gary
Thanks for those suggestions. Will try them out
Jacques