Leaking Parker ball pen

geoff

If, like most people nowadays, you are doing most of your writing via a keyboard, and adopt a pen only for cards and signatures, you will probably find your fountain pen, and even good old Rotring, need cleaning out every time you want to use them. You may find, as I have, that good old fashioned dip pens with a good selection of nibs, and a range of small bottles of coloured inks, are actually more convenient and fun to write with. They only need a wipe with a tissue between uses. A dip mapping pen is still excellent for fine lines too.
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 01:05:28 +0100, "Spamlet"

I think I do more writing with an 'ink' pen, and real Cumberland 3H pencils... I try not to be like "most people".

Rotring - probably since college days...
--
Frank Erskine

Try it: you will like it. Sadly, I used to use Rotring and similar pens all the time, as I never could find a biro that wrote fine enough and where the ink didn't stay tacky and leave blobs everywhere. As the fine writing problem is now mostly resolved via Excel and Word tables and diagrams, my Rotrings are always dried up solid when I would like to use them, and the little wires inside tend to break off in the cleaning. The dip mapping pen is a fair substitute. S

Whilst not wishing to spoil the enthusiastic discussion of the properties and prices of IPA - which is less flammable than meths, and to me used to be cheaper than chips as I used to pump it into 25L drums, as a general cleaner in the print trade - I should point out that, as ballpoint ink is *oil based*, readers probably already have a cheaper cleaner in their cupboard already: white spirit. I think the preference for IPA in 'the trade' is as much for its quick evaporation as anything. It does dissolve both polar and non polar substances, but I doubt if it is as effective, for an oil based (non-polar) ink, as a non polar solvent (white spirit, paraffin, petrol etc) would be. As I've noted before, every DIYer should keep a selection of the various types of solvent to hand, so you can always find the right 'tool' for the job.

Contact Parker's customer service. They might send you some free ink cartridges.

To prevent future problems, perhaps they'll fill them with disappearing ink.