How much to pay teenage house cleaner?

Page 2 of 3  
[On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 13:44:57 GMT, "Bill"

In my opinion, you should think twice about hiring your neighbor's daughter, regardless of wage. Problems with house-cleaners can and do come up, and you may end up making an enemy of an otherwise perfectly satisfactory neighbor.
If you do hire her, I would agree with those who have said to pay her fairly but to have a detailed talk with her about your expectations. Very detailed. Very, very detailed. Many teenagers these days are unreliable. Some are willing to work hard, but they may have no idea how to do the various jobs that are required.
To take one example, I used to have a window cleaning service that would come in and clean all my windows in about 15 minutes. They did an excellent job, and they didn't charge much. They knew what they were doing. They were in and out in no time.
The average teenager would have taken a full day to do this same job, and would not have done it as well.
This will sound somewhat racist and sexist, but I'll say it anyway...
The best household workers I have ever hired have been Mexicans. Most of them have probably been illegal immigrants. I pay them in cash. They work their butts off. You get a good Mexican, you'll be better off.
A Mexican female would be ideal. The males are for yard work.
If you're not better off, then you can fire him or her without making an enemy out of a neighbor.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<< The best household workers I have ever hired have been Mexicans. Most of them have probably been illegal immigrants. I pay them in cash. They work their butts off. You get a good Mexican, you'll be better off. >> ____Reply Separator_____ How do you communicate with them, tell them what you want them to do? I have a friends who retired and moved to and built a house in Mission, Texas. After they moved in, there was still some small jobs left to do. One was to hang a chandelier. They tried to tell their "good Mexican" that the chandelier he was hanging was not the one that they had chosen. They left him hang it and then called the contractor to send someone out to change it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

in
better
Texas.
to
chandelier
and
"NO" is universally understood.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
[On 05 Oct 2003 13:21:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:]

I speak some Spanish. They usually speak some English. They may not be highly educated, but they aren't stupid. You can usually communicate about things like cleaning by simply pointing at things.

I don't see how things like this happen. You give the Mexican the chandelier and the ladder, and you point to where you want the chandelier to go. Not complicated.
What did your friends do? Ask the Mexican to go shopping for them?
I will say that when you are dealing with people -- Mexicans or otherwise -- who were not raised in a "culturally similar" environment as you are accustomed to living in, you have to expect keep a close eye on them and to give them clear instructions. They are fully capable of doing things like using oven cleaner on the kitchen cabinets. You need to anticipate this sort of thing and head it off at the pass.
If your friends intend to stay in Texas, I'd suggest they enroll in a community college Spanish class. Either that, or hire their house cleaner to teach them some real Spanish. Start with "chinga". It has many forms and applications. Point at the oven and say, "muy chigadero".
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<< If your friends intend to stay in Texas, I'd suggest they enroll in a community college Spanish class. Either that, or hire their house cleaner to teach them some real Spanish. Start with "chinga". It has many forms and applications. Point at the oven and say, "muy chigadero". >>
____Reply Separator_____
No, no, no, no! How about the Mexicans learn English?? As the bumper sticker reads: "Welcome to the U.S. of A. .......... NOW SPEAK ENGLISH!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 06 Oct 2003 12:17:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

It's my experience that they are learning English. However, the communication barrier between now and when they do learn, is vast. Why not learn some basic Spanish in an effort to communicate???
Nan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
<< I don't see how things like this happen. You give the Mexican the chandelier and the ladder, and you point to where you want the chandelier to go. Not complicated.
What did your friends do? Ask the Mexican to go shopping for them? >>
____Reply Separator_____
Ever have a contractor build something for you? You pick the chandelier, HE gets it and sends it and his Mexican to your house to install it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Welcome back, Mr. Bentos!
America needs uneducated immigrants because natives are not productive enough to keep the economy going. Before going to work, children in this country are expected to spend at least twelve years sitting in class and doing nothing productive.
That's no way to produce citizens who believe in working. It's no way to produce literate ones, either. As the Secretary of Education pointed out, Americans have more years of schooling than ever before, but they are functionally less literate than ever before.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
[On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 13:07:08 -0400, Barbecue Bob

Children should be raised on farms. 4H should be a requirement.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bueno!
Couldn't agree with you more about the way immigrants generally tend to work out better than native born American folks. There are fewer Mexicans way up north here, but I have had great success with Amerasians. Generally they grew up being hated in asia because they were half American, generally shunned in America because they look Asian.
When you give them a job amd treat them right, it seens like it is the first time for some of them.
I noticed that you said that many teenagers these days are unreliable. Beware of Flaming Nans. How dare you say that they may have no idea how to do the various jobs that are required? Curse us agist pigs! (have you ever gotten both the right food, and right change at McDonalds?)
J
wrote:] : : > We are in need of a maid / house cleaner for monthly cleanings, and my : > neighbor's teenage daughter is interested in doing it. : > : > What's the going hourly rate for a teenage girl to do basic house cleaning? : > I don't want to overpay, but I definately want her to get enough, because I : > don't want her to quit and have to hire an impersonal cleaning service. : : In my opinion, you should think twice about hiring your : neighbor's daughter, regardless of wage. Problems with : house-cleaners can and do come up, and you may end up : making an enemy of an otherwise perfectly satisfactory : neighbor. : : If you do hire her, I would agree with those who have said : to pay her fairly but to have a detailed talk with her : about your expectations. Very detailed. Very, very : detailed. Many teenagers these days are unreliable. Some : are willing to work hard, but they may have no idea how to : do the various jobs that are required. : : To take one example, I used to have a window cleaning : service that would come in and clean all my windows in : about 15 minutes. They did an excellent job, and they : didn't charge much. They knew what they were doing. They : were in and out in no time. : : The average teenager would have taken a full day to do : this same job, and would not have done it as well. : : This will sound somewhat racist and sexist, but I'll say : it anyway... : : The best household workers I have ever hired have been : Mexicans. Most of them have probably been illegal : immigrants. I pay them in cash. They work their butts : off. You get a good Mexican, you'll be better off. : : A Mexican female would be ideal. The males are for yard : work. : : If you're not better off, then you can fire him or her : without making an enemy out of a neighbor.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Just be careful not to get her mad. Lloyd made that mistake. Nan made his life a living hell until his sister came to his defense. He has been tiptoeing ever since.

You know where you can go for the right food and the right change. And for customers in a hurry, we have hot-dog holders in our restrooms.
--
Barbecue Bob serving family-style roast bunny
at convenient restaurants
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Well, with a sister like her, who can blame him for needing to tiptoe?
;-)
Nan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
A pro service is 20-25/hour up here in the north. If you get pro level work, pay that and you'll have a dedicated person forever.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

work,
Is that for a single person or a crew?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Single person - who can do 4 times as much as I can in same time. And 300 times as much as my wife who has mysteriously forgotten even how to turn on the vacuum.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bill,
Save yourself some trouble: Just give her some McDonalds gift certificates, and forget about getting the house cleaned because:
1) "Monthly house cleaning" is like "weekly tooth brushing". There is not a chance in a million that a weekly tooth brushing will make your mouth fresh, or prevent tooth decay. Try going for a month without a shower, then DON"T USE SOAP AND WATER, try to clean up with a wet-nap from kentucky fried chicken. OR, have the neighbor girl try to clean up your house after a month.
2) "Impersonal cleaning services" are just that, AND THAT IS GOOD. They do not care aboout your sex toys, visa bill, check book register, or where you keep your weed. Remember the three most efficient forms of communication: telephone, telegraph and tell-a-woman.
3) Your pay-rate will not keep her from quitting. Teenagers have the attention span of a crayon. She will likely quit when cleaning interferes with going to the mall, or when she discovers that "cleaning is haaaaaard". Hire yourself someone with two kids and a car payment. they will be there because they HAVE to, and they will do the job because they NEED to.
Jacob the cleaning guy

cleaning?
I
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Your bigotry against women aside, I have to say there is just as much (if not greater) risk in hiring someone with 2 kids. When the kids get sick (and they definitely will), the cleaner will cancel. When the kids have an appointment, or mom has to run to the school for a conference with the principal, the cleaning will get cancelled.
In short, there are no guarantees that one will be a better cleaner simply because they have 2 kids, a car payment and a mortgage.
Nan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

certificates,
not a

fresh,
DON"T
do
you
haaaaaard".
Dearest Nan,
There certainly is no guarantee, but let's go with the obvious. There is no guarantee that you will not be abducted by aliens, and morphed into the body of Elvis. No guarantees, but it is not likely.
The sex of the teenager does not matter. Teenage boys have the attention span of a crayon. Giving unlimited access to your house to your neighbor's CHILD of ANY sex is just stupid. Teenagers of ANY SEX (remember it was Bill who set up the "girl" idea) will likely quit when cleaning interferes with going to the mall. I hope that you get the point.
Idiots of ANY SEX cancel work for an appiontment. Non brain-dead people of ANY SEX will schedule appointments around work.
We don't hire someone to do our proctology, just because they have an interest in putting their thumb up there. We hire a professional. Someone who has a dedicated stake in getting the job done will find a way to do it.
I would also recommend againt hiring someone "inbetween jobs", "just need some money", on public support, or the spouse (of any sex) of a fully employed person.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:
If you could manage to post beyond your condescending tone, perhaps others would pay attention to your advice.

Actually, I don't get the point because I know several teens who are very responsible, and I would hire them in a heartbeat if I needed to farm out work.
I'm not sure why you're ranting about gender. I've not made any specific statements wrt that, other than to type "the mom" in my post to avoid the impersonal term "the cleaner".
Okay, so you're a bigot about women and teenagers. Fair enough.
Nan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Perhaps you forgot that your first words of reply to me were "Your bigotry against women aside,"
I am responding to your unfounded attack. My post was neutral about the sex of the cleaner, except BILL SAID HIS NEIGHBOR WAS A GIRL. Why not say I am bigoted against "people named Bill", because I thought he had a baaaad idea?
I have hired dozens of people to do my private house cleaning, professional house cleaning, and office cleaning. Generally, people that do not need a job, tend to be less dedicated to that job. Sure you may know of someone, who heard of someone ,who was an exception to this, but really.... I know several people that have survived lightning strikes. PLEASE DO NOT SUGGEST THAT PEOPLE GO GOLFING IN THUNDERSTORMS.
Your use of "the mom" instead of "the cleaner" might show that you are the one with the gender bias.

neighbor's
Bill
with
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.