How much to pay teenage house cleaner?

Dearest Nan,

Only you have assumed that Bill is a cheap B*. His first stated concern was that he wanted her to get enough. He stated that he did not wish to hire an "impersonal" cleaning service, net an "expensive" cleaning service.

Perhaps you have a bias against people that have money to spend.

J.

Reply to
570-622-6441

YOUR INSINUATION IS IRRESPONSIBLE AND DANGEROUS. 95% OF AMERICANS STRUCK BY LIGHTNING ARE NOT AT A GOLF COURSE. Think of all the readers who will be struck because they decided to go elsewhere on account of what they read here.

Of those struck at golf courses, almost all are struck because they STOPPED PLAYING AND SOUGHT SHELTER IN GOLF CARTS OR, LIKE COWS, UNDER TREES. Those rare individuals who continue to play and are struck anyway ARE STRUCK BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN TAUGHT TO SWING WITH THEIR LEGS APART. When a cross-legged stance becomes mandatory, several lives will be saved each year.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

Dearest dense person,

I've cut and pasted the second paragraph of Bill's OP for you. Please read for comprehension:

Reply to
Nan

Please get me a pair of your x-ray glasses. I, too want to see things that aren't there. Thank you for the cut-n-paste that verifies that YOU MADE UP THE WHOLE THING ABOUT EXPENSE. It isn't there. It only exists within the parenthesis, where you put it. Perhaps we could help Bill, if we stuck to his real question.

Reply to
570-622-6441

Thank-you Bob. I did not realize that I was inadvertantly advocating dangerous activities. Moo. Also, good detective work. you now know where I bought a replacement element for my ceramic top stove. (Burned out trying to pan fry a bunny)

Reply to
570-622-6441

You're such an idiot. Re-read Bill's post.

Oh, and you really should pay attention to your own advice. So far, all you've done is claim women and teenagers are beneath you.

Nan

Reply to
Nan

I reread Bill's post. I reread the part where you added the word expensive. The word he uses is "impersonal".

I reread my advice. I reread where you added this "claim that women and teenagers are beneath (me)". I've haven't compared myself to anyone, in any response.

You have called me a bigot, idiot, sexist idiot, and a dense person. The name calling is getting old. I'd say it's childish, but suspect that you would accuse me of hating children, and wanting to poison their oatmeal.

This is a great NG, full of upbeat, friendly, funny, helpful people, except...

Please note, the last day for making up things and attacking me for them was yesterday. The deadline has passed. Go imagine things in other people's postings, and call them names.

Cheers! And have a great day

570-622-6441

Of course I added the word expensive it is in parenthesis, you will note.

You're the one that's made denigrating remarks about both: "teenagers (you related to both sexes in 2 posts) have the attention span of a crayon, girls only wish to go hang out at the mall, etc, etc, etc. And the "tell a woman" comment. Oh yeah, it was only a joke and everyone was supposed to know that you meant it in that spirit after you'd been condescending towards teenagers.

I never said you have. The fact remains that when someone denigrates entire groups of people (bigotry), they typically see themselves as above those groups they think so little of.

You've made bigoted comments. See above. Idiot and dense person weren't very nice, but you keep maintaining you're innocent and have been very nice. Give me a break.

You're the exception.

I have been ever since this thread started.

Get over yourself.

Nan, adding you to my sinbin.

Reply to
Nan

Bueno!

Couldn't agree with you more about the way immigrants generally tend to work out better than native born American folks. There are fewer Mexicans way up north here, but I have had great success with Amerasians. Generally they grew up being hated in asia because they were half American, generally shunned in America because they look Asian.

When you give them a job amd treat them right, it seens like it is the first time for some of them.

I noticed that you said that many teenagers these days are unreliable. Beware of Flaming Nans. How dare you say that they may have no idea how to do the various jobs that are required? Curse us agist pigs! (have you ever gotten both the right food, and right change at McDonalds?)

"The Other Harry" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... : [On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 13:44:57 GMT, "Bill" : wrote:] : : > We are in need of a maid / house cleaner for monthly cleanings, and my : > neighbor's teenage daughter is interested in doing it. : >

: > What's the going hourly rate for a teenage girl to do basic house cleaning? : > I don't want to overpay, but I definately want her to get enough, because I : > don't want her to quit and have to hire an impersonal cleaning service. : : In my opinion, you should think twice about hiring your : neighbor's daughter, regardless of wage. Problems with : house-cleaners can and do come up, and you may end up : making an enemy of an otherwise perfectly satisfactory : neighbor. : : If you do hire her, I would agree with those who have said : to pay her fairly but to have a detailed talk with her : about your expectations. Very detailed. Very, very : detailed. Many teenagers these days are unreliable. Some : are willing to work hard, but they may have no idea how to : do the various jobs that are required. : : To take one example, I used to have a window cleaning : service that would come in and clean all my windows in : about 15 minutes. They did an excellent job, and they : didn't charge much. They knew what they were doing. They : were in and out in no time. : : The average teenager would have taken a full day to do : this same job, and would not have done it as well. : : This will sound somewhat racist and sexist, but I'll say : it anyway... : : The best household workers I have ever hired have been : Mexicans. Most of them have probably been illegal : immigrants. I pay them in cash. They work their butts : off. You get a good Mexican, you'll be better off. : : A Mexican female would be ideal. The males are for yard : work. : : If you're not better off, then you can fire him or her : without making an enemy out of a neighbor.

Reply to
570-622-6441

Just be careful not to get her mad. Lloyd made that mistake. Nan made his life a living hell until his sister came to his defense. He has been tiptoeing ever since.

You know where you can go for the right food and the right change. And for customers in a hurry, we have hot-dog holders in our restrooms.

Reply to
Barbecue Bob

Well, with a sister like her, who can blame him for needing to tiptoe?

;-)

Nan

Reply to
Nan

Single person - who can do 4 times as much as I can in same time. And 300 times as much as my wife who has mysteriously forgotten even how to turn on the vacuum.

Reply to
JDB

No kidding (pun intended).

And when the cleaner *does* show up, it'll be with one or both of the kids in tow. If you're home, you get to babysit (if you want any cleaning to get done). If you're not home, well, better hope that your home contains nothing either hazardous to children or breakable, and that your pets don't mind being "played with" -- whatever THAT may mean to those particular kids.

Of course, if the kids include any teenagers, *they* will be brought along on all school breaks to "help" with the cleaning. And then, depending on the particular teenager (and allow me to point out that YOU didn't meet, much less interview, the teenager, only Mom) perhaps they'll be back later, withOUT Mom but instead with a friend or two, to do a little extra cleaning... cleaning out your jewelry, electronics, etc.

This is the voice of bitter experience speaking. On BOTH counts. And it didn't help in the least that I had been very clear and very specific at the time I hired the cleaners in question that there were NOT to be kids brought along to work -- that if it came down to cancelling or bringing the kids, I expected them to cancel. In both cases, as soon as they felt confident that I wouldn't be home when they were scheduled to clean, they started bringing the kids.

(The surprising part was that after the burglary, not only did the sheriff's department actually recover a few of our stolen items AND identify one of the kids that did it -- but the cleaner 'fessed up when I went to give her a new house key that the kid caught was her daughter's boyfriend. Then strangely enough, 2 weeks later she asked me to write a character reference letter to the judge sentencing that same daughter -- whom I had incidentally never met -- on an unrelated auto theft she and the boyfriend had [also] done. Go figure.)

-- Michelle

Please, Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Pets Die.

Reply to
Michelle in WA state

How much skill does it take to do basic house cleaning ?

I know of a man that installs carpets and he has a son that was 19 at the time this hapened. He sent his son to install some in a house in the country club area. The woman sent him away because he was not ole enough. After she asked some of the other women in the area who did their carpets she found out the boy had done many of them and they were very nice. She called the caprpet man and wnated the boy back and he answered the boy was only 2 weeks older and he did not think that was old enough to send back to her.

I don't know about body work, but some of the teenage boys I knew when growing up could repair the mechanical parts of a car beter than most dealerships could.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery