Help: cleaning appliance knobs w/o removing paint

How do you clean the grease on and around oven dials without removing the paint on the knobs that shows the degree marks?
Someone suggested rubbing alcohol, but there must be another cleaning solution that will work. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
-Al

Steam works great for this type of cleaning job.

How does one clean the front of a stove with steam? -Al

With a steam cleaner like this: http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?aol_refer lse&msn_referlse&nest=http://www.qvc.com/scripts/detail.dll?item=V17220 !tplTAIL!ref=GOG&ref=GOG
They work great for cleaning all sorts of hard to reach places and for things that you don't want to immerse. I use mine for cleaning the controls on my appliances and in corners and angles where surfaces meet. The steam dissolves the crud without having to scrub and is especially good for surfaces that would scratch.

Try a small dab of petroleum jelly on a rag and gently rub to loosen the grease. Then clean the knobs on your oven with a little dish detergent and another damp rag. But, if the numbers or lettering have worn away, you may opt to replace the knobs (they could be expensive to replace).

Home Depot has a small section of appliance replacement parts, including knobs. They aren't very expense, but an exact replacement part may be. You can look at www.repairclinic.com to search for OEM replacement parts. I have used them several times and they are quite reliable.

You got *that* right. An appliance specialty shop quoted about $8/each for my no-name stove. The burner knobs 'click' for low, med, hi, and given an analog dial and flakey thermostat for the oven, I'd rather have some generics I could scribe or paint after determining approx. where 350F *was*.
How do you clean the grease on and around oven dials without

My simple answer.........Mr Clean Erasers.
I haven't tried it on grease yet, but they seem to clean so many different surfaces with little effort.
ttfn patty
Commit yourself to constant self-improvement