appliance paint

I want to paint my freezer a retro brown. Does anyone know where I may be able to find paint for this project? I have searched the 2 home improvement stores in the area -online too- and the only thing they have is white touch up paint for appliances and the employees gave me a look like I was from outer space when I asked about it. Has anyone ever done this before and if so, any tips you can give me?

Thanks

Reply to
Fire&Ice

Greetings,

How about an epoxy based paint from a paint store tinted whatever colour you choose / bring a sample of?

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William Deans

this site implies paints other than appliance paints can be used to repaint refrigerators

't know about any resultant health issues though

maybe you can mix your own brown appliance paint from other colors; if you don't have a spray gun and compressor available to apply it, loof for small one-use spray painters at auto supply sotres, etc. (glass jars with a screw on compressed air sprayer, equal to about one can of spray paint once you add the paint into it)

it may take 3 or more coats to get a good even color

steel wool and vinegar can remove surface rust or other imperfections

Reply to
effi

Any good quality oil base, such as Ben Moore Impervo or spray product will work. Important it prep, cleaning and sanding and paint it when it is warm. Degreasing and areas around the handles is most important as any grease will be the real problems . You do not need special paint. Epoxy in spray may be best. Key is prep.

Reply to
m Ransley

If you want a really good job, I suggest having one the professionals come in who specialize in doing in place appliance and office equipment painting. There are several systems that they use that allow for a better job and a much cleaner job that you are likely to be able to do yourself. The equipment they use is usually an electo-static system that assures that almost all the paint ends up where it belongs.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi,

Shows available, but back ordered....

acrylic-9 oz
paint-coffee

Cleaning and prep work is most important. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Home Depot in my area carries a bunch of appliance spray paint. I am considering changing the color of my boring old white fridge and noticed this stuff. It's epoxy based and specifically says it will work on fridges, stoves, etc. Smooth or textured surfaces.

I painted an old fridge some 15 years back for my garage, and it still looks good today. That was just with whatever junk spray can I found at the hardware store. I can only imagine that these specialty paints are just that much better. The epoxy should really help against chips and wear.

Reply to
Mark

I agree. I had my old fridge painted electrostatically.... it looks like it just rolled off the factory floor.

Total cost: $95. Professional results. More than reasonable cost.

I'd outsource it.

Reply to
Matt

Thanks for all the responses and ideas. Now if we can just get some warm, dry weather I can get to work on it.

F&I

Reply to
Fire&Ice