Excessive Dust! From where?

Page 2 of 2

On Thu 26 May 2005 07:55:12a, Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. wrote in alt.home.cleaning:

What do you mean by "turning the duct fan around", and how does that help with dust buildup?
--
Wayne Boatwright **
Hi Wayne

Adding a duct fan inside the ductwork of each room you have completed remodeling maintains it under a slight positive pressure.
It's also beneficial in rooms where folks with allergies sleep!
Maintaining a room with a slightly positive pressure keeps contaminants from entering through cracks around window seals and from under the door.
I bought a very old post-war house that has more gaps and cracks than a sieve has holes. As I finish renovating each room, I wanted to keep the dust, especially construction dust from entering the completed rooms. Maintaining them under positive pressure will do just that.
Trouble was, the decal on the fan that showed the airflow direction was on backwards, pointing the wrong way. So it got installed backwards. Therefore it was drawing more dust into the room by creating a negative pressure in the room. Finally figured this out when I saw more dust on the top of the register filter than on the bottom side of it.
When all the construction is done, you can remove the duct fans, or connect them to individual room thermostats if you have zoned HVAC.
TTUL Gary
On Fri 27 May 2005 07:31:39a, Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr. wrote in alt.home.cleaning:

Thanks, Gary. A brilliant idea to a dusty problem. I have only used a duct fan once. That was for a duct leading to an isolated 2nd floor room that didn't get adequate air supply. It had a built-in sail switch that turned it on and off with the force of air coming from the furnace. Luckily it's air flow label was correct. :-)
--
Wayne Boatwright