Cleaning Chintz Curtains?

The curtains are lined and have a white background on the print, so are harder to wash. But I'm desperate. Does anyone know how I can clean them or restore the finish?
Have you tried using a hose attachment with your vacuum cleaner? I do that with dust buildup.
Donna

Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Jun 2006 04:27:59p, JG meant to say...

Is the fabric "glazed chintz"? What exactly to do you mean by "restore the finish"? Have they been prevously laundered?
Regular vacuuming is the best way to maintain and prevent deeper soil. Glazed chintz *cannot* be laundered without drastically reducing or altogether removing the glazed finish. Professional dry cleaning will affect the finish the least.
You might consider tumbling the curtains in a cool dryer with a few tennis balls and a couple of dryer sheets. This would certainly help remove dush and freshen them.
--
Wayne Boatwright @@