Burnt Pan and Smell in House

Yesterday I severely burned a pan. I've gotten as much of it out as I can yet the bottom appears spotty and dark. Does anyone know of a product that will make my pan look like new? Also, the smell of the charred pan remains in the house. Does anyone have any hints to get rid of the burnt smell? I hope it will eventually go away. I have tried the saucers of vinegar around the house but I didn't find that it really helped all that much. Perhaps this will just take time? Any help/suggestions are appreciated :)

Reply to
ntrodrig

Hi Kiddo,

I think we all have done this at least once in our lifetimes...

To get the smell out of the air, I used a product called "California Pet Scents...Citrus...Pure and Natural Air Freshener". It is a concentrated spray that smells like oranges. Mainly used when your pet soils the carpet. Really works well.

At one time or another, I have also used "Oust", "Renuzit Super Odor Neutralizer" and "North American Pure Citrus Orange Air Freshener". The "citrus" ones really work well.

As far as the pan goes, if it's really burned on and a scouring pad and Ajax won't cut it, just toss the pan. Really!

If it's an expensive, copper bottom pan, go to the hardware store/Home Depot and get a wire brush that you can chuck into an electric drill. This will do the job with out a lot of effort.

Good luck!

Reply to
A. Pismo Clam

hey,

if the smell is still in your house, then you kind of have a big problem since you posted this over 2 weeks ago.

In all seriousness though,, if this happens again, you can try and put out some saucers of ammonina. Overnight it will likely get the odor out of your home.

If you still have a serious odor problem at this point in time, let me know and I can recomend commercial solutions that will take care of the problem.

The pan can likely be saved if it is a quality pan,, if you are to the point where your desperate, try soaking some sodium hydroxide in it (lye) in warm water. Use caution if your using lye, use gogles, wear rubber gloves, face shield, apron, all the normal safey stuff for using strong acids or alkine compounts and do it outside if possiable, away from kids and pets... That can eat through a lot of organic matter, and it leaves most metals alone,, for the most part. Try it first for about a half hour, try about a tablespoon in 2 cups of warm water.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Dolan