What would be a good choice of baseboards

For concrete floor?
I have ceramic tiles now that I want to get rid of. I can either rip them out, and directly use the concrete slab (have to probably grind, level and finish it) or pour another layer of concrete on top as the floor. Which would be easier? If I pour another layer of concrete as finished flooring, how thick does it need to be?
Is it necessary to cut grooves through the concrete floor? I saw this done but not sure if this is a way to put in some expansion joints or purely decorative?
What would be a good way to finish the wall and floor joints? Floor is concrete and wall is drywall.
MC