True Quality Revival And Ice-Cream [OT]

Page 2 of 3

If you make one recipe with sheep or goat's milk, you will have whey as a byproduct. I feed that to the chickens mostly, and cook with it.
Amy Blankenship wrote:

Wow Amy, you have chickens and make your own cheese and are into architecture? Where do all the chicks like you hang out?

I'm actually into urban planning. I dropped out of architecture school as a Freshman in favor of graphic design.

Try the pastured poultry and goat lists LOL.
On Nov 3, 10:52 pm, "Amy Blankenship"

Of course. ;)

Depends on the kind, sex, and the quality. Dairy goats cost more than most meat goats. But a good dairy goat can produce roughly 6 times her purchase price each year in milk, plus 2 kids a year. If those kids are female, you then have made your purchase price 8 times a year. If you can keep your expenses reasonable, it's a hobby you have a good chance of doing better than breaking even.

I haven't decided what I'll do when I get ready to replace the laying flock. Maybe we'll eat them, or maybe sell them cheap to someone who doesn't care they're not laying every day any more.
-Amy

In my area of the country, a dairy kid will go for about $150 (but that also has a loose presumption that it is not weaned yet and that can be a lot of work). However, the breed that does best here, Nubians, doesn't do well up North, so you may have a different experience. A goat already milking will be $400+, but then you know exactly what you are buying in terms of production. A gallon of raw goat milk here goes for $8.

Don't forget fertilizer. That's actually their main use here.

You may find that changes when you have hens. I might have said the same once. I will say that eating a lot of fresh farm eggs results in a fresh, toned complexion without the beauty products. Most of the little lines and things I had before getting chickens filled out when I started eating a lot of eggs. I initially lost about 5 lbs on eggs, too, but that came back.

I don't know if I will be able to either. So far our murdering hen is still alive, so we'll see.

Game chickens don't make very good pets. Sex links (which are basically cross breeds bred for egg production) are an attractive red and white. Cochins are just funny to watch run around and make good mothers if you like to have the occasional baby chick around. They're not stellar producers of eggs, but decent. And they come in a variety of colors and patterns. We have a white rock rooster, who is magnificent and a great guardian of the flock. He's even a decent pet, though he's not terribly interested in being picked up and petted.

The chickens themselves are not. The housing is where the investment is. But I suspect you know how to solve that.

Cochins kind of look exotic, but it's totally cute to watch this round bundle of fluff bouncing from left to right as it runs.
-Amy

You don't want Banty anything. I was talking about full size Cochins. Banty is actually a size, and most breeds have a banty size. I can't speak to Cochin roosters, but the hens are cool.

I'm constantly amazed that the cops don't have better control over these dogs that are, in effect, weapons.
-Amy

THen you would prob get jumped on by the ASPCA, and sued by the "owners". Assuming you talked about itand they could trace who you are.
IMO, the "owners" should be treated like anyone who assaults someone with a weapon - AND finced etc. for animal cruelty. People know damn good and well when their dogs have been made vicious - because they often see to that themselves by abusing the animal =>:-p
[ ... ]

I'm not sure what you mean by "game chickens", but when I'd volunteered at eh raptor rehab place, they had chickens running around the place. I really liked them - they just cracked me up, dunno why. There was a rooster which was not very large, but was very colorful, almost like some sort of cropss between a chicken and a wood duck. THer ewere a couple of *large* light-brown hens. I don't remember them all, tho', because that was about 8 years ago. All I remember is that they cracked me up, and fi I was in a funk, I would get a lift by goign out an drunning around with them and feeding them.

I thought that a "pet" is basically just an animal you keep for enjoyment...? I guess msot peole think of "pet" as something one pets...? I dunno.
I also like quali. I don't think i am allowed to have any chickens here, but I think it'd also be cool to have quail; they crack me up, too ;)

You are going to eat the ridge runners? Old laying hens? Boil them until the bones get soft and the meat is still tough. Been there, done that.

You have to either age them a few days or brine them...

Better to become a vegetarian.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Like some on the blog-in-question, I was one of those who did so immediately when it happened. I didn't even have to buy it or eat a bite though. I simply noticed the design-change, and then took a look at the ingredients. That was enough to put it back. (The thought had crossed my mind to open it and leave it melt somewhere in the store in protest.) I was annoyed when-- and how-- they changed it. It seemed deceptive or dishonest. (Is that a competitive market-strategy, Don?) If memory serves, I think they also changed Haagen Dazs' ingredients, as well as B&J's (or perhaps the owners of both companies).
Some of you may recall my home-made online coffee ice cream pics... Well, I don't have time to do that all the time, and don't think I should have to.
But this is only one small example, Michael, for the the purpose of illustration. There are many such examples... For another; just last night when I bought my toothbrush... They keep morphing and I'm unable to find the one I just replaced... They keep morphing on the shelf; and the Queen's label is not on my Pears soap box anymore (and also an apparent change in the ingredients and company to boot)
I can't keep changing what I buy all the time. It's getting ridiculous, bewildering, disorienting, frustrating. Life is complicated enough without having an amusement-park-in-outer-space for a market. Change and choice for the sake of themselves or competition defeats its own purpose: People. I've said it before and I'll say it again; People over markets-- always. If 'community' is now the raison d'etre trend of the corporations, that should be interesting. In any case, I want to be consulted.

You're starting to talk like and old person.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

Sigh

Do you like Dr. Bonner's? It's nice stuff, and it gives you something to read in the shower.
Amy Blankenship wrote:

Like the almond. Good emergency stuff to have one of the small containers backpacking 'cause it works pretty decently as shapoo and as a soap for people and clothing

Now, Don. People obviously want companies to use sneaky marketing tricks on them. Who are you to protest what "the market" wants?

Careful Don, they might taser you for that.
--
Edgar

Don wrote:

Well that's the thing. Edgar's got a point: Just settle your serious case of ass the hard way, with security guards and cameras and cops and tasers and handcuffs and jail and banishment from Walmart.
The idea goes that, since it's the market that counts, then sneaking things passed people is fair game-- especially if it means added revenue, profit, lower costs, a greater competitive advantage, etc.. If they get caught, then it's crocodile tears, "Forgive us!" press releases and damage-control-consultants/talking-heads, and then people forget (helped along by company/product name-changes and buyouts) and they just make the sneak sneakier next time... A rap on the wrist, and it's back to business as usual... What's one or two people more or less anyway, compared with the majority who got duped. It's the profit! And even the ones who noticed are probably just too preoccupied with life to concern themselves with a "stupid bag of Cheetos". Stupid bags of this and that add up pretty quickly though, and next thing you know, you feel yourself lost in a smokescreen and yet more at the mercy of the marketer/advertiser. Your resolve is weakened along with your addiction to the product.
Seems that changing some market practices is orders of magnitudes worse than pulling teeth. Markets and market practices shouldn't be working like that. The speed at which they self-correct best be most swift if they are to exist in any sufficient capacity at all.