Tip O The Day........or week.........

There is an old saying that seems worth repeating:

Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BTW, What are you kids doing? How is your craft coming along? Are we there yet?

-SG

Reply to
Secretia Green

Once in a while, the idiot has to realize that s/he is recognized as an idiot. And once in a while, you have to let the idiot know which ideas and attitudes are idiotic and which attitudes and ideas are useful and life sustaining.

And once in a while, you have to remind the idiot publically that s/he knows the ideas being diiotically spouted are precisely that, idiotic, and what the non idiotic variations and versions might be..

Part of being able to have a craft is being able to have the freedom and wherewithall to work and perfect that craft. If you lose your drafting job, the craft of drafting is being done by someone else potentially less capable. If you lose our drafting job, your ability to further the craft of drafting is diminished. Part of working and perfecting the caraft is providing opportunity for others to work and perfect the craft, either as a part of your own effort or in order to further the future of the craft. NO? Got a substantive thread to offer or do you just want to call people children and ask for talk about generalities?

Reply to
++

Knock yourself out. Or should I say, continue to knock yourself out.

Judging by decades of USENET history, Honestly, I think your efforts are futile.

Fuck off.

I would plonk you but it's not worth the time to killfile. I'll just ignore you.

Reply to
Secretia Green

lol I misread it. I thought SG said "your" kids. I haven't babysat for money since 1972!

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Actually, It was meant as offspring. I mis-typed as I often do.

Reply to
Secretia Green

So two wrongs CAN make a right! (++ took it personally.)

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

While I understand what you mean, the danger is that one can run the risk of being the subject of derogatory terms by their usage. Also, as derogations are used, it obviously affects self-esteem and populations as a whole. As we get used to it, we can slip up with our own kids, family and friends, etc.. Compound victimization.

That's in part why we can have the kind of aforementioned workplace situations.

I'm doing design, knitting, and upgrading my websites.

BTW, I think David Letterman calls his audience members 'kids', for example, so I'm cool with it in that context.

> Are we there yet?

I'm almost finished. Continental knitting is fast, even for a noob like me and I'm glad I made the switch. What you see took me only roughly 6 hours or so on and off.

How about you?

Reply to
Warm Worm

Me neither, but I think ++ was upset and felt under attack.

I always tell my 'kid' that the day you stop feeling offended when someone calls you 'a kid' is the day you *know* you aren't one anymore. If someone did use it as an intended insult (which wasn't the case here) the intent is the potentially harmful thing, the word is impotent because it's not true.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Feel free

Reply to
++

I mistype all the time. Sorry for misinterpreting you. What I read as a bit demeaning was actually just a private message .

Reply to
++

Actually, I thought he was patronizing th whole group. I didn't take it personally, rather collectively

Reply to
++

I'm happy to be called a kid. This fall when we were installing a new facade on the Beacon Hill job, a "Boston Brahman" type asked me "Young man, when are you re-opening the ATM?" I thanked her profusely as I am 72 :-)

Reply to
EDS

I read in Star Weekly that 72's the new 52 ; )

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Great, that means I've got 20 more working years.

Reply to
EDS

I dunno....by that time 92 might be the new 72....you may never get to quit.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Then that would make Ed the same age as Don. ;)

My oldest friend's 68 and he says something like that too.

Reply to
Warm Worm

"Michael Bulatovich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

For some reason, this brought to mind something that happend a number of years back. I was in a meeting and energetically going into the details of some project (related, IIRC, to setting up a way to help other analysts elarn the computer system), when one young woman upped and, is a "loud whisper", called me a "wombat" (she thought it was "uncool" for me to discuss much of anything energetically, IOW, a personality conflict). I turned and looked her in th eeye and said, "Hey, thanks!, they're interesting and, gee, kind of cute!, so thanks!" THe jerk who ran the section looked at me and said with a you-are-an-idiot sort of intonation, "I don't think that's what she meant". I said, well, of course I know that, and of course I know exactly what she meant, but I don't care so I decided to take it as a compliment instead", and then went on with my spiel (which I had been asked to give, so there ya go).

The thing is that there are some poeple who are idiots and/or a-holes who have nothing better to do or think about other than trying to insult someone else, usually in a feeble-minded attempt to make themselves look superior. They will use all sorts of words, even nonsense words, made up words, to try to make someone else feel bad.

What I think is most important is to teach people of all ages ahtat insults unmask the insualter for what he/she truely is, i.e. an insecure person, often with an inferior intellect, who has to resort to tryuing to tear others down because he/she is too inept to do anything else to get others to think well or highly of him/her. Derogatory words are things taht one should not resort to, but if a person does, the main thing is that the intended target has to realize that all the insult really is, is hot air from an a-hole.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

Every now and then, they say something that could be thought of as intelligent (especially when you don't really know the idiot at first), and your curiosity is peaked. Sooner or later you figure it out, but of course it has taken too long. In some ways it has strengthened my own thoughts and ideas. Of course, eventually it becomes futile like it already has.

Me I am involved in my first semi Project Management task, with a little help from the real project managers. It came about partly as a necessity, because one boss screwed up his knee doing a wheelie on his kids bike, and while that happened we had the fires that threatened the San Bernardino Mountains (California if your curious), and he messed it up again evacuating and trying to save some of his stuff. Luckily nothing happened to his home, and his knee is healing. My other boss ended up having a herniated disk, and needed to get two of his spinal disks fused. So I basically had to run this small job, from drafting to project management, and it has been pretty good. It's a small 3000 S.F. Wound Healing Center (think Hyperbaric Chambers). I am learning, always learning, and I've been up to the challenge so far. They want to involve me from beginning to end so construction should be more fun. Oh forgot to mention it was one of our first jobs dealing with the city rather than the state (normally do schools), so that was another challenge.

I'll be there in another 30 years (what is the going age for Master Architect these days?) :-P

-- Edgar

Reply to
Edgar