Re: CAD Keyboard?

where's the rest of the alphabet? It would work right up to the point where I needed to put a note on the drawing that had the letters I, J, L, P, U, V, Y other than that it might save a few seconds a day. Wonder how long it would take to get used to it, and fun it would be when I went back to a "normal" keyboard

You could switch to a souped up keyboard with programmable keys like the Logitech G15. It has 18 additional programmable keys for macros or whatever. There are others: (Amazon.com product link shortened) http://www.electronickeyboards.com/autocad-keyboards.html
DAGS for 'autocad keyboard' or 'cad keyboard' and you'll get lots of choices.
RicodJour wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus /
Especially the price!

I would say, if you went through the trouble of (or already did) setting up all your commands to only be on the left side of the keyboard, then maybe, but even then, you'd still need to take up space with your regular keyboard for any typing you did, and using only the left side of your keyboard for commands is just as easy to do on a regular keyboard as it is on this thing without having to spend the money. Unless for some reason you need the extra space on your desk and can move the regular keyboard out of the way (I.E. its wireless or something) I don't see any benefits, and the cost of a slight learning curve and the money to buy the thing.
Now on the realm of the same type of question, has anyone ever used a tablet for ACAD drawing, and if so, how was it?
--
Edgar

Nope. I like 'eyes up' drafting, and moreover keeping my pick box near the work.

The people I've watched using them did use "eyes up".

was slow and awkward, but maybe it was me learning ;-) EDS

I think you're being modest, EDS. The fastest CAD jockeys I know use a mouse and type left-handed.

Yeah, I got myself a 6"x8" tablet for a birthday a while back. Been thinking of trying it for Acad, but it's bluetooth and my work computer doesn't have BT. It works pretty nice, and you only need to be somewhat hovering for it to recognize where the pen is, you don't have to actually touch the surface. It's a Wacom Graphire, not the top of the line by any means, but nice little gadget.
--
Edgar

Maybe sorta. Are any important letters missing?
I've got my eye on http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/77ba/ . Don't know where to put it right yet. Or we could go back to
http://www.wech.com.my/useful/pvdrafting/pvd-image/pvdraf21.jpg old school.
Meantime, I've just come up with right hand shortcuts for some of my favourite commands.