Alphabet blocks?

Hello: I am new to this group, as well as to woodworking in general.

I am thinking about making some childrens' alphabet blocks, and I've been looking at some for sale. I am wondering why all of the blocks have only two sides carved, and the rest of the sides are just burnished. Is it that you can only carve on certain aspects of the grain?

Thanks in advance! Sincerely, Carol.

Reply to
fergiface

I'm guessing they only carve endgrain, so the little bits of wood won't break off into a toddler's mouth and choke him/her.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Many times the letters are scroll sawed out and glued into a recess in the block.

Reply to
The Wolf