Questions about producing an Architectural/ Design Portfolio and Resume

Page 1 of 3
Dear Newsgroup:
I have a general question or need advice on the today standard for preparing an Architectural Design Portfolio and Resume.
My general overview or history: I am currently setting for my Architectural Licensing Examinations (ARE) in New Jersey. I have finished my IPD, and complete my NCIDQ, and my Master of Architecture at Virginia Tech, 98' with a BFA in Interior Design. Currently getting my Interior Design Certification in the State of NJ. I have a combined work history of 10 to 12 year in the Design, Architecture, Design build Professions.
I am currently looking for a new position and it has been a while since I have looked for a job in the Architectural Profession. Here are a few of my questions: Digital, Website, and /or hard printed copy?
What is the best why in this day in age, 2007,' as well as the most professional form for a candidate to prepare and present a portfolio and resume? Do I prepare a website that includes my resume and portfolio? Or print out a hard copy of the work and what size portfolio is best to present? Should I create a (.PDF) file of the resume and portfolio? How would a prospective employer best want to view my work? See it before the interview as in sending an email link to the web page and/or send the .PDF files?
What should a complete and professional resume include? I have a CV but need to redo my current resume and wondering what the expectable format is?
What might be some go catch words such as "Green"...?
I am not LEED Certified and only know a very old version of Revit... Do I need to update my Cad skills and get Certified before I can apply for a job? I do know AutoCAD and Arris and a few other.
Thanks very much to this forum. Sincerely, The Artist
All... very expensive... all prospective employees have all and the latest Revit and AutoCAD etc. skills... LEED Certification...
Very discouraging being as the ARE is a hefty chunk of money these days including the study materials.
Thank you for your input. The Artist

Artist wrote:

My advice (which is worth what you're paying for):
Find a firm in a smaller town that's hiring. A smaller company. Work there for a few years, then branch out. If you go to a big firm first, you'll get pigeonholed into doing something you may nor may not like (I've known several people who are now "stuck" in a niche that they want to get out of but don't have enough broad experience). A smaller firm will usually do work in a large variety of project types and give you the chance to get exposed to everything...
While there work on your LEED (waste of money, if you ask me. We've researched it and you can still do LEED buildings without being LEED certified. It's just more money for more initials after your name that, in the end, only mean you paid for the letters).
Smaller employers will also usually be a little more willing to train.
Truth is, if you wouldn't mind living the the middle of nowhere central midwest, you might be a good candidate for our firm. We're looking... (but we pay peanuts until we know your worth. At which point we pay your worth).
Dear P:
Thank you for your quick reply. I have 10 to 12 years experience and have complete my NCARB, IDP, and jsut setting for my examinations now... Am I or better yet my skills still considered a not skilled? Thanks for the kind offer... I'm a East Coast girl...
I am looking into small firms such as one I'd like to open after completing my ARE. I have taken a few sections already.
Thanks, The Artist

<blushing> Now I regret my comment in the other post...sorry.

No problem... point well taken...
Being a female architect has given me a tough skin...
No harm done... always a dreamer and think it would be great to work for someone famous... now I'm not dreaming this anymore... :)

Good. I was courted for a term by the local famous guy while in school, but when he realized I wasn't smitten with his fame, he kept looking. He used to get people to work for nothing. My trade union days wouldn't let me live with myself if I did that...not to mention my stomach.
I echo the comments about firm size. Small is better for experience, unless you want to work on BIG stuff. Few firms have the clients who will spend the money on good details, so finding a place to put those skills to use will not be a slam dunk, but just keep looking, and moving until you do. God is in the details....if you believe in God.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Artist wrote:

It has? Why's that?
It's about 1:1 male-female ratio in architecture (or architecture school) these days, anyway, isn't it?
I think one might need a "tough skin" in different ways/senses regardless of who or what sex one is: Sexism swings both ways.

All the best.
(Has the world become any better since women entered the workplace in greater numbers? ;)
To the Newsgroup:
Is there 1:1 females practicing in your firm today? Last I look at graduate schools ... in the studios... it was not 1:1. And are the female architects getting paid the same? Same benefits? Same expectations? Really... Let me help you pull the wool out of your eyes!
Female Architects are more likely to get laid off do to not being the bread winner in the family... miss conception most times but it is what it is. Female Architect have to prove themselves more and wait longer to get more responsibility on a project and are questioned all they... for example: I designed a scissors truss for an Elementary School while working for a Pa. firm. One of the Senior Associates was very excited and supportive but my equals were telling me it could not be done and it would not be more economical... I prove them wrong...
Another example was a code review for a large scale project. I was very complete but not as fast as my male counter part working on another project... the male counter part forgot to review the building for a large number of sections but it was okay with the Principles knowing a senior associate was going to review his work. That same Senior Associates call me up personally and complemented me on my work and stated I did an excellent job. Stating that my work equated to much less time for him to do his review of my work... But one of the Principles in the firm told me I was much slower then other counter parts and more or less laid me off for being an excellent skilled worker that his firm didn't want to pay for. He would rather pay for a lesser skilled and not as competent worker. The Principle would rather pay for speed and mistakes then a complete well done job... My experience is female architect are more concern with quality of there work and do not watch the clock as male counter maybe more likely to do
As fare as sexism... all of my atmospheres I have worked in have been nothing but professional... But working on the East Coast and I might add Philadelphia Area... it is still quite hard for a female architect well over and above the cat calling on the job sites.
Can't win for losing...
Artist.

I read nothing in what you wrote that _any_ person, male or female, wouldn't have experienced.
If you are going into architecture for the lucre, I suggest you re- examine the situation and/or lower your expectations.
R-
Not in the profession for money... but do need to live... I am a extremely creative an innovative person... this is why I entered the profession... And if Architecture is a true profession of which it truly is, I will not lower my expectation of it only of the people practicing the profession.
Maybe ... but it was not my feeling when it was happening to me... I am trying to be objective about my passed situations and am looking forward to my future employment.

There will be many people that will either actively help or hinder your career. Some of them are in your own firm, some of them are clients, AHJs, etc. There are also many reasons that they may interfere with what you feel should be done. Professional jealousy, simple dislike of you, ulterior motives of their own counter to your objectives, etc., etc. This comes with the territory regardless of what race, creed, or gender.
It's a bell curve just like everything else. There are people that will offer you a job because you're tall and blonde, which is just as wrong as refusing it to you for that reason. It happens. Trying to legislate idiocy out of society is impossible and a stupid effort. If you're good at what you do, able to handle pressure and take care of the details and you're easy to get along with and not absorbed in office politics, you'll do fine wherever you go. If the firm doesn't appreciate those qualities, you're at the _wrong_ firm. Move on.
Artist wrote:

Here's a vocabulary list with example that might help you in reconstructing your story for others:
associate/associates ex. The same Senior Associate called me up, complemented me on my work and stated that I did an excellent job, stating that my attention to detail equated with less review time for him."
Women
pull the wool over someone's eyes. ex. He tried to pull the wool over their eyes, but they weren't fooled." The reverse is not used normally as a colloquial expression.
principal/principals.
counterpart
attention to detail
job well done ex. The principal would rather pay for speed and errors than a job well done.
sexism does not equate with sexual harassment. ex. "All of the environments in which I have worked in the Philadelphia area have been nothing but professional, but I have been subjected to cat calls on job sites. "
______________________________
Basically, Artist, not a sentence written in your message above approximates modern standard American English. As for what you are reporting about your last position, you stated yourself that senior associates in the firm would review the work, probably because they are registered architects/engineers. It's nice that you are so thorough that one of your supervisors didn't have much to worry about. That would ordinarily put you in a position to be advanced in the firm. But perhaps the way the project was scheduled caused your part of the process to have a negative impact upon the schedule? Perhaps not. In any case, you obviously don't have the English to write specs or to go unsupervised for even titling, I imagine. Don't think I'm putting you down. Learning deficits are curable, after all. I suggest you contact the one senior associate in your previous firm that complemented your attention to detail and ask his advice in finding and writing you a recommendation for a position in another firm. It sound as if you have at least one person interested in your career.
Newsgroup:
Im a severe dyslexic legally. Dyslexia can not be cured and I will not go into it here. I am protected under ADA and can not be discriminated against because I am dyslexic. My strengths are vastly under used. And you are so correct; writing is not my strong suit. I am extremely creative and highly intelligent. I am an excellent thinker and designer due to being dyslexic. My management skills due to dyslexia are very strong because I can see the big picture clear and strong My strength and abilities apply themselves very well to architecture. But for some reason all off you licensed architects can only judge my use of the word detail as in building details and specification not in design. Cant wait till I pass my ARE and I can finally be the excellent creative architect I know I am. Most architects are too blinded to exercise my strengths for the good of their company. Never mind... no one has any idea how frustrating it is. Check out my thesis then see if you want me empting your trash cans or have me as a strong member of your team.
Link to my Masters thesis might give you an insight into my abilities. My professors at Virginia Tech called my work exempletory.
http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-11142005-193955 /

Artist wrote:

You will need to collaborate in those areas I mentioned, which involve writing skills, no matter how talented you may be in design.

It is over 52 megabytes to download to read. Do you have a small visual sample?

Newsgroup:
I tried to submit the .PDF to this newsgroup but the posting has never arrived.
The small file is 4.185 kb.
If anyone knows how I can submit the file let me know, otherwise you have to download the full published version of my thesis from: http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-11142005-193955/ this file includes a few movie files and why it is so big at 52 MB.
I can also send the small version to your email address if you give it to me. Not sure if I can ask or suggest that. sorry if am not allowed. New to newsgroups.
Sincerely, Artist
Artist wrote:

You will need to collaborate in those areas I mentioned, which involve writing skills, no matter how talented you may be in design.

It is over 52 megabytes to download to read. Do you have a small visual sample?

It's pretty much anarchy (ha!) in newsgroups, the only rules you need to follow are rules of etiquette and even those are just if you don't feel like being an asshole today.
FYI (and I am not calling you an asshole, and since you're new) top posting is considered bad etiquette as it messes up the general natural reading of posts. Better to post after the stuff so we can see what your responding to. Used to be that people would snip messages when they got too long, but that was mostly because of bandwidth, so it's not much of a big deal, scrolling wheels took care of that :). The rest can be had in the FAQ which I hope someone will kindly post, as it is always good for a laugh. I've been enjoying the discussion here because I considering finding a new place to work too. This place I am at now just consistently sets itself up for failure, and I don't want to be here when it all goes down.
--
Edgar

Hi Edgar,
And thank you for the heads up.
Can you please tell me what top posting is? I jsut write a response right after reading a post or hit reply to a post. Is this not correct?
thanks, Artist.

Edgar wrote:

It's ok if you are basically making one coherent statement that is not necessarily referential to what follows.

Yes
I dislike having to scroll through long threaded mostly empty posting just to arrive at....a one liner. I tend to killfile those who feel like subjecting me to too much scrolling. It only takes a minute to trim posts and is polite.

Hmm, there are numerous netmanners faqs and the USENET itself has one.
In terms of the PDF suggestion by "Artist", for example, the Usenet FAQ says that no files except plain text should go on the Usenet except in designated binary netgroups.

I don't really mind it as much anymore, but of course it is nice to trim, as long as you keep the context of what has been said.

I was referring more along the lines to the alt.architecture FAQ, which I assume you ahve not read yet.
--
Edgar