Questions about producing an Architectural/ Design Portfolio and Resume

Dear Newsgroup:

I have a general question or need advice on the today standard for preparing an Architectural Design Portfolio and Resume.

My general overview or history: I am currently setting for my Architectural Licensing Examinations (ARE) in New Jersey. I have finished my IPD, and complete my NCIDQ, and my Master of Architecture at Virginia Tech, 98' with a BFA in Interior Design. Currently getting my Interior Design Certification in the State of NJ. I have a combined work history of 10 to 12 year in the Design, Architecture, Design build Professions.

I am currently looking for a new position and it has been a while since I have looked for a job in the Architectural Profession. Here are a few of my questions: Digital, Website, and /or hard printed copy?

What is the best why in this day in age, 2007,' as well as the most professional form for a candidate to prepare and present a portfolio and resume? Do I prepare a website that includes my resume and portfolio? Or print out a hard copy of the work and what size portfolio is best to present? Should I create a (.PDF) file of the resume and portfolio? How would a prospective employer best want to view my work? See it before the interview as in sending an email link to the web page and/or send the .PDF files?

What should a complete and professional resume include? I have a CV but need to redo my current resume and wondering what the expectable format is?

What might be some go catch words such as "Green"...?

I am not LEED Certified and only know a very old version of Revit... Do I need to update my Cad skills and get Certified before I can apply for a job? I do know AutoCAD and Arris and a few other.

Thanks very much to this forum. Sincerely, The Artist

Reply to
Artist

All... very expensive... all prospective employees have all and the latest Revit and AutoCAD etc. skills... LEED Certification...

Very discouraging being as the ARE is a hefty chunk of money these days including the study materials.

Thank you for your input. The Artist

Reply to
Artist

My advice (which is worth what you're paying for):

Find a firm in a smaller town that's hiring. A smaller company. Work there for a few years, then branch out. If you go to a big firm first, you'll get pigeonholed into doing something you may nor may not like (I've known several people who are now "stuck" in a niche that they want to get out of but don't have enough broad experience). A smaller firm will usually do work in a large variety of project types and give you the chance to get exposed to everything...

While there work on your LEED (waste of money, if you ask me. We've researched it and you can still do LEED buildings without being LEED certified. It's just more money for more initials after your name that, in the end, only mean you paid for the letters).

Smaller employers will also usually be a little more willing to train.

Truth is, if you wouldn't mind living the the middle of nowhere central midwest, you might be a good candidate for our firm. We're looking... (but we pay peanuts until we know your worth. At which point we pay your worth).

3D Peruna

With the market the way it is around here, one eye, one ear, no English or North American experience will still get you a job in the field. It doesn't sound like you'll need to do much to get a job, unless you have to work for someone famous. In that case I'd recommend two years' supply of a good personal lubricant, and a good set of kneepads.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Dear P:

Thank you for your quick reply. I have 10 to 12 years experience and have complete my NCARB, IDP, and jsut setting for my examinations now... Am I or better yet my skills still considered a not skilled? Thanks for the kind offer... I'm a East Coast girl...

I am looking into small firms such as one I'd like to open after completing my ARE. I have taken a few sections already.

Thanks, The Artist

Reply to
Artist

Now I regret my comment in the other post...sorry.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Working for someone famous is not necessary... and not interested in being a kiss ass... just receiving and excellent job, good pay and an environment interested in supporting a young architect taking their ARE.

I am looking for a small to mid-size firm the does residential, adaptive reuse, restoration... I am a very detail oriented person and not very cost effective working in a crunch office... I'm very skilled.

Reply to
Artist

No problem... point well taken...

Being a female architect has given me a tough skin...

No harm done... always a dreamer and think it would be great to work for someone famous... now I'm not dreaming this anymore... :)

Reply to
Artist

Don thank you... Excellent Reply and quite right...

I can do the portfolio and a DVD or Cd-Rom... right protected but the Website will cost me a lot since I'm quite a novice at building one...

Thanks again... I will print out this reply as inspiration.

Reply to
Artist

My first job in Architecture was at TAC under Gropius, which was pure luck. Working with the famous is not all it is cracked up to be, although Grope was one of the best of the famous. Two years later a small split-off from TAC offered me a job and I have never worked for any firm larger than 25 people since. I have been on my own for the past 7 years which is the best way once you have that AR.

Detail orientated drafters are few and far between as too many schools teach students to be "form-givers" I was a detailing freak and NEVER had to look for work after the first few years. They came to me and hired me away. Frankly I use only ACAD 2004 light and Sketchup, and have had no problems coordinating with any architects or engineers. EDS

Reply to
eds

Good. I was courted for a term by the local famous guy while in school, but when he realized I wasn't smitten with his fame, he kept looking. He used to get people to work for nothing. My trade union days wouldn't let me live with myself if I did that...not to mention my stomach.

I echo the comments about firm size. Small is better for experience, unless you want to work on BIG stuff. Few firms have the clients who will spend the money on good details, so finding a place to put those skills to use will not be a slam dunk, but just keep looking, and moving until you do. God is in the details....if you believe in God.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Oh God. There'll be no living with Don now. I can hear his head swelling from here! ;)

Web site building is easy. Most web hosts have templates that you can use that get you up and running in no time. It's literally as easy as typing in the information (or cutting and pasting from whatever application (or wherever you stole the stuff)) and selecting which pictures to upload from your computer.

You've already mentioned all of the stuff that you need to do to present yourself and your work. Gimmicks are bad, but you should have one anyway. I used to take slides of my work (well before digital became ubiquitous) around in a little briefcase that I made from a computer punch card (well before direct keyboard entry became ubiquitous). It was the exact size to hold six or eight slides and had little handles and everything. One of my strengths in those days was model building and the little gimmick drove the point home immediately.

Now of course you can't make a little briefcase out of a computer punch card, but maybe you could wear a Valkyrie's helmet and carry a sword. That would work particularly well if you're tall and blonde and not afraid to use the sword.

Good luck in the hunt.

RicodJour

I am tall and blond...

Very funny comment. Artist

Reply to
Artist

R- Thank you for your input. The website doesn't sound so difficult I will check the templates. After finding a web hosting site. I really like the DVD idea and maybe there is a way to create a "slide show effect" and print it DVD. I think on this newsgroup or another a few weeks back someone mentioned a slide show program... oh yah it was a photographic newsgroup. I will look into this solution as well. Everyone uses their laptop to view work so leaving behind a DVD will give the prospective employers an opportunity to discuss my work or abilities. But only use the gimmick if I understand you correctly if it enhances my presentation of my skills.

You comments almost make me feel like getting ready for the interview or getting my foot in the door has not changed all that much. Through the years Architect had to present the visual anyway we know how... It's a lot of work to pull this together and hopefully the Computer/ digital aspect will only help and not delay the process for getting in the office for the interview... frankly when you're looking for work it means you need a job... and I jsut didn't want all the "new" technical avenues delay me for obtaining the job. It sounds as if this ahs been the same old problem present a visual field thought the years.

Thanks again for your thought fun comments and advice. Artist

Reply to
Artist

Ed- You sound like an utterly fascinating person. Walter Gropius... boy what a time to be starting out in this great profession. Each era has it needs and strengths... you must of hit a gold mind as a young an impressionable Architect. I feel with the "Green Architecture" movement I might be starting out in a fascinating time as well...

More and more firms are using sketch-up... A year ago I went back to Virginia Tech Architectural Graduate studio and all the students deck are laptop with sketch-up running... I wanted to tell then break free and go for the chip board and bum-wade!!! I stated way back in 96' in graduate school using the a macrocreations Painter software and have been sketching in the computer for years... but nothing beats my sketchbook when a passionate project comes along.

I believe I'm detailed oriented due to the fact I started with an Interior Design Degree and design for the inside out...

Thanks you fro all your helpful advice, Artist

Reply to
Artist

Me too. Except for the tall and blond part.

BTW, you're blonde. Men are blond, you're blonde. Blond is so...bland.

RicodJour

My opinion is a website would be a waste of time. When I've been in the hiring position, the critical thing is the resume. That is where the decisoion to interview or not is made.

First keep it simple, short and relevant. Most people do not have time to read a novel, nor do they care if you worked as a cashier at Burger King. Your resume will quickly indicate your communication skills.

In general, provide a one page resume, a short cover letter that personallises your submission, and a project list. If you samples of work that are ALL youur own, you might include a few select 8-1/2 x 11 as well.

Reply to
animal05

"Artist" wrote in news:6qSli.316834$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

A website doesn't have to be expensive. You can get a decent-sized site for $10-$20 a month. Making a site isn't too difficult...

There are also DVD authroing programs - prob some open-source (GNU) as well as shareware.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

"Artist" wrote in news:4qVli.167848$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Hi Artist, Something to consider is picking up some of those biz card sized CDRs, you can put your 'website' or CV on them. I have some I picked up at office supply store for about a buck a piece. Ron too bad you won't be licenced in BC (Canada) I could use a "seal" and broader prospective in collaboration...

Reply to
Ron

It has? Why's that?

It's about 1:1 male-female ratio in architecture (or architecture school) these days, anyway, isn't it?

I think one might need a "tough skin" in different ways/senses regardless of who or what sex one is: Sexism swings both ways.

All the best.

(Has the world become any better since women entered the workplace in greater numbers? ;)

Reply to
Señor Popcorn