House-Design Notes

If you use a credit card with no fee, and pay it in full every month, you have free money for 30 days (roughly). Where's the downside?

Close all bank accounts...? Huh? Banks around here won't cash a check if you don't have an account. Are you planning on bartering for everything? "Hi, Mr. Home Depot, would you take these chickens for some roof shingles?"

RicodJour

Some folks fire-bombed a Royal Bank branch over here in Ottawa very recently, about a couple of weeks ago...

Ottawa. Land of the 'One Who Works For The Government'. Where they have not just Ken's favourite POOP's, but also Royal Canadian Mounted Police and Military Police to boot (in boots). 3 flavours to choose from. Mmm delicious. YMCA

What do you do when the money's no good and/or every sufficiently large (inter)national bank has been bombed... and big-chain corporate grocery stores have all been looted, then bombed or adaptively reused?

In the future. and even now in some places, we may be/are able to trade in local currency (too), (Totnes Pound anyone?) if not necessarily with Home Depot... Although, if it is to survive, it may find itself somehow turning into a locally-owned co-op depot and dealing in freshly-picked local stone, etc., if not chickens or beans, in exchange for those recycled roof shingles that Rufus bartered in last week for hay and clay.

I wouldn't put it past eventually finding some free-range eggs at Home Depot, say, after the locals, including Don, take it over at gunpoint.

Hey, Don, save me at least one bullet-free melon, please.

Reply to
Warm Worm

ago...

Well then let's dismantle it and/or change how it operates. Let's not pretend that anything's absolutely private.

How would what work? The whole thing isn't working-- the market, economy, industrial agriculture, Wall Street, BP... Here's my quote at The Oil Drum:

And here's something that I'm working on, now that I think about it:
the reticle meets with Don's approval ;)

The name of the rig, 'Deepwater Horizon' plays well to the concept in many ways. Too easy really.

Anyway, are we really that stupid that we not only can destroy our planet-- our only home-- with intelligence and our own hands-- and really fast-- including killing entire species/ecosystems, and risk our own survival as a species in the process?

Or is our supposed intelligence the paradox that ultimately renders the conditions that kill us off?

From 'Are Humans Smarter Than Yeast' You Tube video: "Understanding exponential growth as a fundamental driver of global warming, environmental destruction, peak oil and natural gas, water and arable land shortages, social decay, resource wars, etc.."

-

Warm Worm

Check? Why would I want that - can't eat it, can't do anything with it cept surrender it to some bank somewhere. I'll just skip the middle man thank you just the same. Last Friday I told paypal to stick it, after 12 loyal years. Bartering? I just struck a deal with Bill Pool, the owner of the sawmill down the road, for some mighty fine walnut and maple for a project I have coming up and no money was involved. Gov't constructs are self destructing, right now, all over. Better figure out a plan B.

Reply to
creative1986

It'll never happen. To believe so is to prove ones own ignorance of the enormity of this planet. And it's not *ours* but rather the other way around, we are a product of it and it dictates everything about us including our very existence. Not the other way around as the media would like you to believe.

The media has hyped this BP thing way out of proportion using all the usual tools and methods and all the same drones are falling all over themselves as expected.

In 20 years this whole thing will be a distant memory just as the Exxon Valdez is. And the environment will be better off than it was before, just as in Prince Edward Sound.

You don't *have* a soul. You ARE a soul and you HAVE a body.

"Man can't harm her, but Gaia can take out man in a nanny second."

--gs, 2099

Reply to
creative1986

You seem to be saying that we have no effect on the planet, which is obviously insane. Destroy in this instance is construed to mean making the planet, or large portions of it, toxic to life, unable to grow food/animals without undue effort, and/or uninhabitable. We're not a perfectly mobile society, and oddly enough, the people already living somewhere aren't crazy about people descending on their piece of turf because the immigrants pissed all over their own.

And BP has attempted to "aw, schucks, that little bit of oil...?" the situation away so they won't have the US driving trucks up their keister looking for the ATM.

The effects haven't even started to be felt, and there are still problems remaining from the Alaskan spill, but good luck with the prognostication career.

nce Edward Sound.

Hey, just out of curiosity - is the Superman in your world snow white and his face all faceted?

"The environment is better off than before" is one of the more ludicrous statements made in recent memory.

RicodJour

You mean government constructs like the MMS? Things designed with no "purpose"...until you need their oversight?

How do you pay your property tax? Fuel bill, CATV bill, car insurance? Are you on your way to becoming a financial Luddite? It can be done, of course, I just don't know why anyone would want to do it.

RicodJour

rince Edward Sound.

I think you need to update yourself on the Prince Edward Sound condition Rico, seriously. The worst damage was caused by the steam pressure washers on the land.

Reply to
creative1986

Seem? Construe? I took the word destroy literally, and of course the poster was wrong. Humans are not capable of destroying the earth nor will they ever be. You, and the OP, are putting the cart before the horse.

We're

Can't argue with that.

Well, what do you expect from the corporo-gov't you now live under?

The real fun will start when the gov't kowtows to the media and takes over the clean up. LOL

rince Edward Sound.

That's understandable coming from someone that is educated on the topic by the MSM. Whatever......

Reply to
creative1986

Well, if you enjoy giving half the efforts of your toil to extortion knock yourself out. Why would I want to? Because I want to spend less and enjoy more, about 50% more.

Reply to
creative1986

I don't *need* their retarded oversight, nor will I accept it. Period. Some people have been trained to believe they need such things.

Reply to
creative1986

When I wrote destroy our planet, I meant 'for us', for our possible survival as a species.

I'm without a tv and heard of this BP thing by word-of-mouth, and then online. But in a way, I'm not overly concerned about it. The Oil Drum website/ forum, which I'm on, is not only about oil, BTW. (Join me.)

Perhaps, but, unlike the Exxon thing, this one may have the distinction of having occurred very near or after global peak oil production, if some stats are to be believed, and it may be that the economic climate we're in is strongly correlated. If it is, then, as some seem to suggest, it will be a very special "recession" that lasts and lasts.

I recall the late George Carlin, comedian, saying something to the effect of 'shrugging humans off like a bad case of fleas'... Should that occur (and I wouldn't doubt it) I wonder what current species has the best evolutionary potential to be our successors. Any ideas? (We may have been merely a trial run.) I'm posting this from the heart of suburbia, BTW, at an American multinational corporate cafe amid a big-box-store sprawl. It feels somewhat surreal and disorienting, and like a giant kid half-casually designed it and left it, along with tracts of parked toy SUV's, lying around to be hollowed out and consumerized. I'm not used to this and have developed a bit of a bout of suburbarria in my rollerblade trek negotiating vast parking-lots stretching to the horizon... Better head back home before it gets worse. (In the mean time, maybe that BMW SUV- driving guy might know where I can pick up some medicine for it... he seems ok, amazingly enough, so maybe he knows... I'll have to ask...)

Reply to
Warm Worm

Einstein said something like this: "I don't know how World War III will be but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

The only living things will be at the molecular level, bacterias, viruses, etc.

Reply to
creative1986

I think he may have been referring to a nuclear winter... although I wouldn't discount a runaway greenhouse effect that cooks things up too far for even cockroaches. I have something to post for Ken (and something else for you and something else that might possibly get Rico's attention) so I'll go on over to his new thread and meet you there. I agree, this thread seem too big...

Reply to
Warm Worm