Magazine Architecture: My Architectural Paradigm Shift

Recently, in my foray into natural architecture, I've noticed that now when I pick up most magazines on residential architecture most of what I see when I look at the buildings are manufacture's advertisings. Each magazine has become an advertisement, almost nothing more.

...We don't know how to build our own homes anymore or grow/foray-for our own food, or even raise our own children.

Tragic?

Reply to
Warm Worm

Not yet. I'm speaking generally, although I would add that those who have raised their children haven't really done so against some kinds of criteria.

That's what I hear and am reading. Timberframe post and beam joints, for example, demand a fair degree of accuracy.

Good to know.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I'll also add to the child-raising thing-- and along similar lines-- the question of how much of our houses do we acually build for those who do. While it might take a village to raise a bent or a child, what kind of "village" is it and how much do we know of it?

Reply to
Warm Worm

You're not supposed to. That's what makes people different.

Some unlikely things seem to be related sometimes, so I like to mention them for the sake of perspective.

Who's Mr. Spook? Do you mean Mr. Spock?

I barely graduated from the prison of high school and can't build a house, wooden tank or rocket, etc.. We all have our sharp and dull spots which are different and can be frustrating.

The issue in question simply includes the perspective of how much of our kids do we get to see and influence if they're in school and we don't get to see them for about 7 or 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, which doesn't include after-hours stuff that the kids might do away from home or the parents. And then there's tv and corporate advertisement that gets to them.

Reply to
Warm Worm

You realy shuld look into the idea of 3dh. If tradisional craftmanship is a barrier, then there are a new way to view a structure.

Reply to
per.corell

:

P.s. --- that iis if Logic shuld dictate. Logistic are the main challance in architecture, here that is compleatly strait forwerds, when there are not a thousand different items to account for, but everything is replaced with one matter that replaces everything.

Reply to
per.corell

I'll be 80 and some of the 90 year olds might be calling me a "young man". Some perhaps just to attempt to leverage some notion of a social position, the primates that we are. ;) There are people who "don't know how old they are". I have a best friend significantly older than you, kiddo. As far as we're concerned, we're the same ages, if you want to be lateral about it. We'll always be young men until maybe we become the oldest men in the world. When I get aroundabout then, I might experiment with drugs.

We can all learn new things at any age as Spock would agree.

I was enjoying Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road aroundabout then.

'Aroundabout then.'... sounds like an album.

Live long and prosper. Keep young, old dog. Squeeze the nurses' asses when you can.

Reply to
Warm Worm

It is, from a few years earlier.

creative1986

Yes, and completely avoidable. But, for the laziness and greed, I mentioned in a previous post. I remember one time my younger brother told me he was so lazy he'd spend the rest of his life in bed except for the fact that he'd have to get up to go shit. Truthfully, I am the laziest person I have ever known, bar none. The problem is I want to do stuff even more than being lazy. Quite the conundrum and I lose lots of sleep quandrying it.

Getting back to your topic. Over the years I have spoken to lots of people about why they send their kids to public prisons and it always gets to a delicate point. The part where I reveal to them that I know the reason they do that is because they are lazy and/or ignorant. No truly caring and intelligent parent would do such a thing. In fact, its criminal - child abuse.

All of the excuses have been laid aside and the reality has been revealed for what it is and the commoner does not like the cognitive resonance that he is faced with in this regard. Thats when the name calling begins.

But just look around, look at the world that these things (they aren't human, and calling them animals would be an insult to the animals) have created by their laziness and greed.

I'd mourn if I could. But I can't, because the punishment is deserved.

Reply to
creative1986

Once upon a time, there was someone who liked to get stuff he didn't like done as fast/effectively/efficiently as possible so he could enjoy more of the activities he preferred... to the chagrin of others who toiled less effectively and slowly. One day, they decided to replace the semantics of speed and efficiency with a more derogatory term, laziness.

Well it felt like that for me anyway.

I guess there're different forms of laziness.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Nah, its all the same.

Reply to
creative1986

Trade rags have always been littered with ads. Back before the internet those ads had some value and because of them I had an extensive reference library in my office. Never paid much attention to the articles because they are largely written by people that don't know what they're talking about and barely know how to write about what they don't know. The decline in the trade rag allure started waning for me about 1994 or so and then dropped right off the map, and to think at one time I received over 40 of them free each month. Now, none. Well, a few still come though but they never get looked at. My wife has been the managing editor of a global trade rag since about 1988 and for the past 5 years they have been struggling. They have been trying to do that lateral move to a website but can't quite seem to get a toehold on whats happening. I believe their difficulty is not unique in that they don't want to realize their old business model has been shelved right up there next to the buggywhip manufacturers and countless others. I see a mainly paperless society in 10 years. Our level of snail mail is almost non- existent anymore. I just got a birthday card from my sister today and thats the first piece of tangible mail I've received in ages. Mostly we just get junk mail. Bills are paid online or prepaid through the bank or occaisionally we'll pay for online purchases with paypal. In fact, I ought to just go ahead and pull our mailbox out of the ground.....

Reply to
creative1986

Get an 8" aluminum speed square, its invaluable for short straight cuts (45 or 90) across the grain, and fits perfectly in your nail apron. I use that for onsite stuff. In the workshop almost all crosscuts get done on the *mitersaw*, it has a laser.

++I lucked out back in 2000 when I bought my Craftsman 10" Compound Miter Saw. From what I gather it was the very last CMS sold in the US without that irritating safety switch in the trigger. You know, that child-safe thing. My brother got the Rigid about a year later with that switch and its a pain to have to deal with that thing. Mine also has the ambidextrious handle which comes in handy frequently. I do wish however that the laser was on both sides of the blade. I also have a Ryobi 18 volt 8" compound miter saw that comes in handy on smaller stuff. I keep both set up and ready to go all the time.
Reply to
creative1986

That whole village thing has been blown all out of shape. But then, just look at who made it famous.....nuff sed..... Next thing ya know it'll require an entire continent just to wipe your ass.

Reply to
creative1986

Who did say that expression? There are other ways to clean your ass that don't require wiping. Where is toilet paper made? Nuff said. ;)

Reply to
Warm Worm

Ok I looked it up and presume you mean a book by Hillary Clinton. The expression has been famous for a far longer time than that, but I see your point. We don't seem to exactly have villages anymore, although small towns probably feel more like them than anything. If someone's going to help me raise my child, I think I'd rather prefer someone I've known for awhile. These days, what with globalization, that can be hard, so we have a lot of strangers we know nothing about raising them... and building our houses for us.

Reply to
Warm Worm