Gaaack!

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/467046,CST-NWS-taste13.article
I'd never eat that stuff and y'all are idiots for suggesting it!
RicodJour wrote:

Looks to be the tahini and as I've said before, you can make your own dip, hummus, and replace the tahini with probably any nut-butter. You can also make your own nut butter for the hummus. Just get a bunch of cashews and pop them in the blender with a little olive oil.
Seor Popcorn-Coconut wrote:

Cannot!!!!! substitute NUTS for SEEDS.
mother has spoken
++ wrote:

Why nut?

"A nut can be either a seed or a fruit... A nut in cuisine is a much less restrictive category than a nut in botany, as the term is applied (or misapplied, depending upon the viewpoint) to many seeds that are not true nuts."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_%28fruit%29
So how about it? :) Besides, I think cashew butter might be awesome.
Seor Popcorn-Coconut has responded.
Seor Popcorn-Coconut wrote a really bad pun:

The taste of the sesame seeds does not equate with the flavour of cachews or macadamias or whatever nuts.

I buy it, but infrequently. Needs a lot of stirring and usually there is no source with cashew oil, only some inferior mixture. Good in complex soups

++ wrote:

What would you recommend as a close approximation? (Unsure, but I might actually be mildly allergic to sesame seeds.) Sunflower seeds?

Agreed.
Seor Popcorn-Coconut wrote:

Just sesame seeds. I also use sesame oil. Stuff is available at middle east, Greek, Bulgarian, Turkish stores. Easy to find. Never heard of anyone allergic to them.
THere are lots of nut butters, sunflower and pumpkin seeds included. But I rather save these for toasting up a cup or so, throwing in a couple cups of rice and coating the mix with a little oil, letting both rice and seeds pop (do not do this with white sesame seeds although it works with black sesame seeds), throwing in water (twice as much as you have rice, popping on a lid and letting the batch steam.