Does this guy have a case for copyright infringement? Freedom Tower Design

A coworker brought this story to my attention concerning David Childs and his previous design for the new "Freedom Tower". Does this guy have a case, or is he just "playa hatin" or looking for attention? Pretty sticky subject in the field of Architecture. I don't know all the details of this case, but as a previous employee of a large corporate firm, I can see how someone like Childs would take something like this without thinking. I've seen it happen too many times in those big firms. I'm sure it's not exclusive to the big firms, but their environment seems to bring it out in its most blatant and uncaring form.
http://tinyurl.com/acdxf
BTW, if any of you have a problem with logging on to the NY Times, don't forget to use http://www.bugmenot.com .
Cato

I have no desire to read his contract. I'm sure I wouldn't understand most of it anyway.

If the NYT doesn't want me reading their material, I won't.
Don wrote:

It's not just sloped; it's sloped towards a movie screen with the express purpose that people will park there and have a better view of the movie. I did it that way in my project; they did it in their project. Sloped parking lot; movie screen.
Adam Weiss wrote:

I just went to a drive in theater last week with the same design...are you sure you didn't copy them?
--
Night_Seer

The problem is that it's one detail/idea. THere are, let's face it, sut so many basic forms, and it's *is* possible for people to come up with very similar ideas independently from one aother. Happens often in science, for example.

I think generally that is all too true, and certainly not just in the world of Architecture.
OTOH, if they ruled against Childs, what happens if a "little guy" thinks of something that's claimed by a "big guy"?
Plagiarism stinkc but it'd be worse IMO to penalize everyone who ever had an idea similar to someone else's. The end result would be to strangle creativity, not enhance it, because part of creativity is often taking things that exist and using them in new ways, in new situations, giving them new meanings.
- Kris
When teaching design I had a student, who worked at a firm that I had previously worked at, bring in a ski lodge design that I had done. Real dumb, my name was on the original drawings, but he still claimed that it was his "original" idea. I flunked him. EDS

<shaking head> Good grief ... People really *are* getting stupider...
- K.