End Terrace Alley Way Floor

Hi All,

Hoping for some advice. I have an Alley way which my neighbours say is causing damp along their wall. They believe it is being caused by the alley way having only a dirt floor and not concrete. My wall facing the alley way has been fine. I do not have any signs of damp or smells of damp. Is there likely to be any truth in this and will a concrete floor be better than the existing dirt?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
Curious Bob

"Curious Bob" wrote in message news:ec115$52434b11$cf3aab60$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com

Heck, let them buy in the concrete.

Reply to
dadiOH

Does your wall along the alleyway receive sunlight while theirs is perpetually in the shade? That would make a big difference.

I would cover the alleyway mud with a fairly thick plastic (like 10 mil) (meaning 10 thousandths of an inch thick) and see if that changes things.

Reply to
nestork

"Curious Bob" wrote in message news:ec115$52434b11$cf3aab60$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

Most likely thing is a defect in their house construction. American houses are very poorly constructed. Is there any possibility that dirt has washed in so raising the ground level which could affect things dampwise? Also who owns the alley? How long has the problem existed for? Do puddles of water lie there when there is heavy rain? Concreting it is not likely to be a complete solution and may not help at all depending on the exact problem.

Reply to
harryagain

Water does not soak into concrete very well. I would think it would cause more flooding than the current dirt 'floor'. It is apparently caused by the slope of the alleyway (down from your side). Maybe you can fix that by sloping the dirt towards the center of the alleyway from both sides.

Reply to
willshak

There were 7 responses to this question from 6 AHR members. The Homeowners HUB only posted 4 of the good responses on their site. The 3 negative responses were not deleted from their site. Therefore, telling any homeownershub poster to change to a newsserver is a waste of time. They won't get the message.

I have a question that may, or may not, keep our questions from appearing on these thieving sites. My question is directed to the those who are familiar with copyrights. Can we copyright our questions and answers in this forum with the proper notice? Perhaps in the sig line? My former employer keeps up with me by email and on every post he has this warning at the bottom of the email.

"PERSONAL & CONFIDENTIAL The information transmitted herein may contain privileged and/or confidential material. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, information contained herein or attached hereto by persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. Any misdirection or other error in the transmission of this information is not and shall not be considered a waiver of any applicable privileges. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without saving, distributing or copying in any manner".

Reply to
willshak

Sorry, again I made an error. Delete the "not" in that sentence. The above line should read "were deleted from their site".

Reply to
willshak

Another reason to shun such sites.

Likely not. Your TOS likely doesn't give that option. You post it, they own (rights to) it.

Different issue but likely not enforceable, either.

Reply to
krw

'D' or 'DD'?

Reply to