Freedom Tower

Guys:

I don't know if you've seen the redesigned Freedom Tower.

See it here:

It's getting even worse. The design is dumb, plain dumb.

They have this 200 feet entrance fortress that is a boring concrete and steel box and a very unfriendly and "free" .The tower itself is a glass box and the stupid antenna to get to the "symbolic" 1776 feet.

What I can say is that represent very good most of the american people: dumb, tasteless and cheap :)

The tower is not the only flawed part of the design but the surroundings of the tower create worst problemas than the the ones the original towers created when they were built.

By the way, people hated the twin towers before they became a symbol.But now they are the most "beatiful" skycrapers.

The architect, David Childs, has the chutzpah to say, that he likes his design better than the original.

I can't understand how he can say that, this guy is shameless also as an architect and with respect to his colleague.

Poor Daniel Libeskind

But the developer mast be very happy because he could get rid of the original architect and get a cheap building. That was his intention from the start of the process.

What a scam! Shame on the american architects who let this circus going in front of their nose.

See ya!

Damian

Reply to
Damian

For not demanding that their own better designs be built.

For not demanding that each and every potato farmer in Idaho be heard on the correct thing to build.

Reply to
gruhn

Poor him? I pity the architect who designed the WTC- Minour Yamasaki. He's more known because his projects get brought down than anything else. He also did the Pruitt-Igoe projects in Saint Louis that were demolished in '72.

Reply to
Matthew Erickson

Damian:

Damian wrote:

You are right.

The David Childs scheme for the Freedom Tower has no style or spirit. It is just a plain functional and mechanical engineering design that would have been a proper design if it had been brought out during the 1970's. It isn't a new style, and it won't be new forever.

The SOM firm, however, may be one of the few firms that has the technical resources and designers that can be restructured into a capable project team.

It looks as though the square top of the tower is in perspective, and due to the diagonal lines on the sides of the building the top part of the building seems to be warped or out of square and the roof not level. That seems to be a little scary.

The illuminated light fixture wad or thing that is stuck on the top of the mast is weird. What is that supposed to represent? We are speaking of symbolic representations of reality, which is what Surrealism is, are we not?

The architects of America do need to speak out more regarding the proposed designs.

The OP of the WTC should scratch the designs, and the project should be restarted with a clean slate. A new design for the entire site should be planned, and a design with real spirit and panache created.

Ralph Hertle

Reply to
Ralph Hertle

"Damian" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Other appropriate words: cheesy, inane, ugly, ungainly, ungraceful, unartistic, unattractive, patently designed by a hypercommercialized committee (committee being "80 stomachs, 160 feet, and half a brain"), depressing, blunt..or in short, crap.

It looks like a suppository - so IMO it's more symbolic of what the gov.t, and nation, needs the most...

Just goes to show the power of unthinking subjectivism.

Then you *do* understand how he can say it. Unfortunately, advanced education is, like basic ed, more indicative of the ability to regurgitate the information that the "authorities" ("teachers" and "professors") want one to regurgitate, and has little to do with actual intelligence (most basically, the ability to think creatively and find novel solutions to problems) or even common sense.

Shame on a hell of a lot of people. Taste by committee - BLEH.

- Kris

Reply to
Kris Krieger