data points

Thread for data points. I'll start with one I can't confirm or deny but sounds likely enough and should be interesting to keep in mind.
"Remember back around Y2K when ALL local and state emergency plans were put under FEMA control?"
No, I don't remember. But that does sound likely. Of course "the previous administration" did that ;-)
"The Feds castrated local autonomy via a stack of presidential edicts, yet now Bush wants to take the heat away from himself and point the finger at the states and cities for not responding."
No, this doesn't speak to "it isn't government's job at any level." So what.