Data protection

I'm trying to renew our house insurance (for reasons un-related the house i s in my wifes name.
After trying unsuccessfully to do this on line as their site is shite I rel uctantly phone them
Listen to 2 minutes of waffle
Get human. Give him details of the insurance policy number, house name and address and wife's name when he asks me for her date of birth.
What ?
Why ? Data protection is the answer.
WTF has this to do with data protection. I'm not asking for any 'data' in f act I'm giving some.If I walked into their office with a copy of the renewa l notice and a credit card would they ask me for her date of birth?
Data Protection Act. Its the new shibboleth up there with Health and Safety .
On a similar note I wished to add three drivers to my car insurance (two so ns and a daughter. All are mature, have their own cars and their own car in surances and have clean accident free record and clean licenses. I only wan t to do this as a back stop and wanted an idea of the cost
First question, after giving all of the above info, is how many miles a per year will each do ??
Next question what is their names ?
What?
I'm only looking for the cost of doing this. Doesn't matter. Data Protectio n Act again invoked.
I just gave up

It is a precaution against somebody trying to steal her identity and giving them false information.
--
Colin Bignell

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 12:25:41 PM UTC+1, nightjar wrote:

But I'm just trying to pay household insurance. I'm not asking for any data. They're not giving me any data. So what are they protecting?

Thjeir jobs. No one ever got sacked for being pointlessly infuriatingly bureaucratically obnoxious.
Some one terminally stupid was 'talsked' to look into 'security gudielines' and properr sets of legally binding rules backed up by recordings of all phone calls so thatr even stupider peole could be employed to answer the phone.
The bigger the company the worse it is. Try getting through to the EU....
--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."

They are stopping you from making changes to the data they hold if you are not a properly authorised person. You may not actually be planning to do so, but that doesn't mean that somebody posing as you or your wife wouldn't want to, for their own purposes.
--
Colin Bignell

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 4:55:07 PM UTC+1, nightjar wrote:

Then the time to invoke the data protection act us at the stage where I start asking questions. Thats when they need mne to confirm my credentials not when I am attempting to pay bill

Yes, but its operationally easier to get the monkeys to confirm that you are who you say you are at the start of the call rather than having the monkeys decide when they need to have you confirm that you are who you say you are.
The online systems often do only make you confirm that you are who you say you are when you try to change the data or check it, but call centers hardly ever do it like that.

Thats why I insure with NFU.
--
“People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

I have my caravan insured with NFU and have been happy with their service, so decided to get a quote for house insurance. No online quoting system, so I ring them, spend around 40 minutes going into great detail about value of contents, rebuilding cost, etc only to get a quote about twice as much as I was currently paying with LV=. Won't make that mistake again. John M
On 10/09/2019 01:31, John Miller wrote:

Same here, and the same happens with Cornish Mutual. Tedious long phone call, providing information that I could more accurately provide direct to an online form than relayed via a call centre monkey— no surprise that the quote is twice the price.
--
djc

I think most of the time they don't understand the gdpr and hence would rather piss people off than get into any trouble. I have argued this case with the medical fraternity about them being allowed to pass on I am blind to the next department, sorry Gdpr. So go to next appointments, say x ray, Oh nobody told us you were blind health and safety means we need to don a leather apron and be with you in case you bang your head on the x ray machine.
So I have signed many many daft documents now to allow this transit of important info, but still its not happening and still not always getting email letters I can read from some as they do not know I'm blind as one trust does not recognise another trusts procedures unless I go to the new trust and sign their paperwork in triplicate. The daft part of it all is, data portability is quoted as the main advantage of the digital revolution and they are just shoving obstacles in the way when most people would imagine that once you agree to have data shared in nhs it should just happen. Bah humbug. Brian
--
----- --
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com scribeth thus

Take you custom elsewhere!, i did and got a mucho better price:)
ESURE is the new company..
--
Tony Sayer