Whats the most cost effective AND time effective way to sell on unwanted tools and DiY materials......?

Now that I have finished our forever home, I am now having a clearout of my garage.
There is a vast range of tools, power tools and DiY materials to sell on as I will either no longer use the tools concerned or use up whats left of the DiY materials
Examples are:
Box of carpet gripper rods water cooled electric tile saw Table top circular saw Large angle grinder Small angle grinder Various step ladders Chrome Window casement stays 10 packs of double gang switched twin sockets plastic waste pipe boxes of fuses boxes of screws Wood Chisels allen key sets Torx key sets Extra long screwdriver
I've already tried Ebay..... Too much hassle, have to weigh and estimate postage & packing, pay commission, risk of getting low wining bids and some stuff just too impractical or not cost effective to put in the post.
I've also tried car booting. People seem to want something for nothing. a manual Stanley wood plane brand new in box attracted an offer of £2!
I'vce had mixed results selling on at work, the ones that do sell get the prices I am asking for them but no interest in the rest.
I have yet to try Gumtree....
I did wonder if people on this NG would actually be interested? The location is Northamptonshire.
S.

There's no easy way. I have quite a lot of similar sorts of stuff that I've tried to offload over the past couple of years. I guess it's the same reason that DIY stores like B&Q are going out of business, no one does anything themselves any more. That means that virtually no one wants any of the above, the only things that I think *might* get takers on Freecycle or similar are the step ladders.
I've given up trying to get rid of tools and hardware.
Strangely agricultural/garden machinery goes for quite a lot. I've recently sold an ancient tractor mounted boom sprayer (for almost as much as it cost many years ago) and a Viking sickle bar mower (for much more than I expected) both on eBay.
--
Chris Green
·

writes

Probably the buttercup pony paddock brigade now the neighbouring farm has gone to 24m and can't get through the gate:-)
Did you tell them they have to pass the training courses to buy the chemicals?

--
Tim Lamb

Presumably because plenty still do their own gardening etc.
I've

You tried Ham Radio Rallies? Brian
--
----- --
On Monday, 9 September 2019 13:40:09 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:

2!

Best chance is car boot sale. But as other poster says, DIY is not popular with the new snowflake generat ion who want it all on the plate.
But if you get rid of something, you can be sure you'll be wanting it for s ome job in a week or so.
On 09/09/2019 16:35, harry wrote:

+1. You don't have the *true* DIY ethic unless you hold onto anything that "might come in useful one day".

Quite! I still use the 1/8th. inch wood chisel I was awarded as a school woodwork prize aged 11:-)
--
Tim Lamb

On 09/09/2019 17:22, Tim Lamb wrote:

When I was about six, for a few years my father bought me a single tool at christmas. I still have a small pair of pliers, and my first toolbox. This is a "First Aid Kit, Small, For Armoured Fighting Vehicles".

Best chance is actually a local facebook buy swap sell group.

On Monday, 9 September 2019 13:40:09 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:

I don't know what sort of markdown they do from sale prices, but that sort of thing always appears in Cash Converters.
Although Gumtree is probably quite a good place for those.
Car boot for anything under a fiver.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com presented the following explanation :

Quite large I suspect, they prey on the desperate.

Or I heard Facebook local works quite well and is free for buyer and seller.
On 09/09/2019 20:18, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Shpock Works in some areas as does Facebook. But in others there is no interest. Supermarket free adverts can be surprisingly good. Otherwise decide to keep the items just in case, give it away on Freegle/Freecycle or donate to a suitable charity shop. I volunteer in my local Charity Shop and am surprised what a good market there is in bottom end mains powered power tools - even the old metal bodied B&D.

I've had little success on our local Freegle with DIY type items.

I wonder if I might get rid of some left over tools there.
--
Chris Green
·

Facebook Marketplace is full of junk ads and ads that lie (no, the price of that house isn't actually £1), and searching is often hopeless. However it has the advantage that lots of people are on it.
Theo
On 09/09/2019 13:40, Stephen wrote:

That kind of stuff I have been able to sell on ebay ok.
These are harder. You might be able ebay the hand tools as a job lot, although the chisels can attract decent prices especially if you have anything a bit unusual like a paring chisel or skew chisel. Step ladders might attract the collect only buyers.

and
> Box of carpet gripper rods > Chrome Window casement stays > 10 packs of double gang switched twin sockets > plastic waste pipe > boxes of fuses > boxes of screws
Stuff to give away on freecycle / faceache local etc!

IME not too bad if you set a starting price that makes it worthwhile. Use one of the integrated courier services like parcel2go. Also do a bunch of things that end at the same time, so you get all the deliveries collected together.

Those can do well on ebay - especially if its a older one.

--
Cheers,

John.
IMO the local facebook buy swap sell group unless you are in some small village or a very rural area.

On 09/09/2019 13:40, Stephen wrote:

Ive sold (and given away) various items successfully via the local Facebook sell/swap page.
Mike
On Monday, 9 September 2019 13:40:09 UTC+1, Stephen wrote:

Personally, I use eBay. Yes, it is a hassle. But invariably items do sell for exactly what they're worth. You have to accept that they might be worth more to you than to anybody else, in which case you can keep the items instead of selling them :)