Yellow glue or ??? for Adirondack chair?

Yeah, but the news spreads when there's a local woodworker that can fix chairs (and fix them properly). That takes a particularly uncommon skill or at least most people think so.

Reply to
Upscale

You should see what the old guy across the road can do with a trashed chair!!! He's redone qite a few for friends and neighbours that are now better than new - with all kinds af parts replaced, repaired, and remanufactured. It's a real art!!!

Reply to
clare

Here's some info on the chair I just finished:

the risk of pissing off the Antiques Road Show gods, I decided to forgo any attempts to retain the original black "japanning" on all the steel and cast iron parts in the seat support mechanism (this thing has dual tilt springs with cast iron receivers, and a height adjustment mechanism with a 1-1/8" lead-screw!). I ran all the metal parts through the sandblast cabinet, then applied a black oxide finish (similar to gun metal bluing) available from Caswell Plating
from the regular disassembly and re-gluing of all the old hide-glue joints, I had to "rebuild" the dovetails on the ends of the legs, re-cutting the shoulders to add a bit of depth and gluing shim stock to the faces to add thickness, all so the legs would once again fit tightly into the cast iron receiver. I also had to reinstall new seat caning, which I'd never done before, and I highly recommend this site:
for supplies and instructions if you ever have to do the same.

A fun project all in all, and my friend was quite happy to get his favorite old chair back. I understand I now have an endless supply of free beer any time I want to go over and shoot the breeze! :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner