Workbench Height - At the Wrist. Good Idea?

Is that cherry? What color are going to paint it. GOOD JOB!

Reply to
Leon

The hardest part was not getting frustrated at how gentle she was when driving the screws. She would drive them real slow and then stop when they bottomed out. She really wasn't driving them home. I just bought her the drill for Christmas so she hasn't had a lot of practice.

She's going shopping with SWMBO soon so I'm going to crank them all down after she leaves. Between the brackets and the screwed down shelf and bench top it's very solid, but I know that some of the bracket screws are barely tight.

Then it's on to installing the garbage disposal, the pots and pans drawers in the base cabinets and a couple of new switches. (It looks like I measured the cabinets correctly the last time I was here so I'm pretty sure that the drawers should fit just fine. I hope.)

There's no 3-way switch for the 2nd floor hallway light. Just a 2nd floor switch. Lutron has a Caseta line of wireless switches that has some good reviews. I plan to replace the 2nd floor switch with the Caseta receiver switch and mount the remote switch at the bottom of the stairs. They use Decora style wall plates, so they will match the rest of the switches in her house. I really don't want to pull wires in 1935 plaster & lath house.

DerbyDad03

When I first started WW, I made a plywood disk and glued sandpaper to it for my Tsaw, trying to make a disk sander. It filled my whole shop with wood dust. I never used it again, bought a disk sander, dust collection and so on. It was enough dust powder to make any OSHA hack wring his hands into fat little government stumps.

My coal furnace converted to gas was in the middle of it all, but no bang. My main concern was my shop was covered in dust, I had a hard time breathing, and the Tsaw turned WAY to fast to be a sander.

Reply to
Jack

But how many times have you seen instructions for dust collection systems that stress the importance of grounding everything and having drain wires through plastic portions? I guess they help because they'll keep the dust (into the collector) to a mini um.

It's all about concentration but your points are valid. The dust from sanders may be too large, too. Fine sanding doesn't produce nearly as much dust as a coarse grit and the dust from a coarse grit is large and will fall out of the air anyway. The real problems are in places like flour mills or corn processing.

Gas, on the other hand, is a really fine powder. ;-)

Reply to
krw

You done good.

Reply to
krw

Ah, where's the fun in that?

The only thing that stops me from home automation is that they seem to come out with a new "standard" every year. I once used X-10 but gave that up long ago. Now it seems like a different app for every device.

Reply to
krw

Impact drive should be next on the gift list. ;~)

Fingers Crossed!

That looks pretty cool, kind's like a wireless door bell switch.

Reply to
Leon

I don't recall if the warning to ground the DC is to prevent an explosion from a spark or not.

More likely to prevent one from being shocked from static electricity on the hose. And that static electricity tends to let dust build up inside the hose.

Reply to
Leon

Home automation and wireless stuff is col,,,,, until it stops working. Then you struggle with how to get it all running again.

Reply to
Leon

This is his MO. Nothing new. He not only asked for help, but gave zero pertinent info like what it would be used for, height of user and so on. Then as people answer him, he ekes out more info whilst belittling those trying to help him.

The best is he's supposedly been a woodworker for 35 years, you'd think he would be answering the questions rather than asking. Then, he "builds" a cheesy "workbench" with his credit card... Yuck!

Reply to
Jack

I have 8 smart plugs on various lamps around the house. All plugs work on a Kasa app and with Alexia. If they stop working, say you unplug them or the WiFi goes down, startup is automatic. I like them a lot because I just tell Alexa what I want, and it happens (usually).

I really like that all the lamps are on timers, so go on and off automatically, and if away on vacation, the lights go off and on, and can be controlled from the other side of the world from my cell phone if I want.

The down side, and after several years this has not happened, is if the plug or WiFi stops working you will have to unplug each lamp from the smart plug and plug it directly into the outlet like it was before smart plug days in order to turn on the lamp. Some of my plugs are not easy to get to, and would be fun crawling around on the floor with a flashlight to fix.

Another minor issue is if someone turns off a light manually, later you'll wonder why the smart plug won't do anything.

Reply to
Jack

Amazing! After the second screw I'd have instructed her on how to use the clutch etc etc. Watching 80-100 screws and just letting her continue on sounds like child abuse to me...

Reply to
Jack

I think the child is 30 something. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

And there is the issue of Alexa not working for what ever reason.... I was one of the original owners of the Echo. It does not always work properly and we have 4 altogether.

I also have a weather app that is WiFi And it is tied into my sprinkler system, also WiFi. Door Bell/WiFi. Front door lock/WiFi, garage door opener/ WiFi. My wife's sewing machine, WiFi. 2 radio's/ WiFi TV DVR/WiFi. Phones/Wifi.

And when WiFI goes down...... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On 1/30/2021 10:38 AM, Leon wrote: ...

Well, there's a lot that claim it is but there's simply insufficient energy there for it to be a viable ignition source for woodworking dust.

--

Reply to
dpb

I'd be more concerned about drawing a spark off the hose and being startled into dropping something heavy on my foot.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So you built her a table. OK. Which is exactly what I told you she needed to work on in her basement. No vise, so its hard to call it a workbench. Its a table she can work at. So its a worktable, not a workbench. 32" high. My dining table is 30" high. My 6' folding table is 29" high. Your worktable is pretty close to the same height as my tables. Good job.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I'm more concerned that the wire will collect chips and really piss me off when the duct gets plugged up.

Reply to
krw

I won't have an Alexa in the house. Actually, I did. My son gave us one. It never left the box.

Reply to
krw

I thought I'd keep my eye on this one, at a local auction - but it's already close to what my max. would be ..

John T.

Reply to
hubops