workbench

Here's a workbench on sale in Craigslist, Wichita KS. area. Seems kind of pricy but maybe not.

sawdustmaker

Looks like a well used and abused workbench being sold as an "antique" with questionable "mennonite/amish" provenance raising the price.

Not convinced it has great value as a "work bench" for any kind of fine woodworking.

Reply to
clare

Here is a MUCH better one for a small fraction of the price - Niagara region.

clare

And if you want a real antique "art piece" of much better quality for only a little more than that Kansas piece, look at this one:

clare

Or this ?batmaker's table"

clare

Hear is another MUCH better bench for a fraction of the cost. Likely every bit as old too. A whole lot less abuse.

clare

Here is a much newer, well built bench in good condition for a small fraction of the price too!!!

clare

Getting up in price again, but much better value for your dollar -

clare

Another rather pricy beauty - with good provenance if that's your thing. A "puppetmaker's bench".

Reply to
clare

Another well-priced beaty of a workbench---

clare

And this one is just across town from me. Pricy, but a whole lot better than that Kansas piece.

clare

and another low priced one.

clare

Given the area I'd say the "provenance" is quite likely valid given the large Mennonite population in the state and particularly just to the west of Wichita area in particular.

Looks simply well-used to me; a top-flattening if were to want to actually put it to work would likely be all that's required.

Most if not all of the others (didn't look at every one) have been refinished and repurposed as furniture rather than workbenches.

Whether there's collector value in these benches similar to furniture I've no klew/experience; if that were so the originality and lack of having been "restored" is probably value...for a working piece instead of collectible, "not so much".

$0.02, imo, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ...

Reply to
dpb

Not sure why you think that is MUCH better. I don't think it is.

The classic is in rough shape, and will require a lot of work. But you would have to see it personally to evaluate whether it is worth it or not. Looks like at least 1/4" needs to be removed from the top for the dog holes to be more supported.

That's a lot of work. An electric hand planer or a scrub plane can help take off lots quickly.

Reply to
woodchucker

What does a new top-of-line workbench cost?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

$2,500 - $3,500

Spalted Walt

I do not consider sjobergs quality workbenches. Too many things wrong. Same with the LIE.

The major thing you want is to avoid racking, and both use thin rails. So they don't really avoid the problem.

Reply to
woodchucker

$600 and it don't need no stinking rails... ;-)

-part 2 -

Spalted Walt

Without getting into the who-is-the-fairest-workbench-of-them-all debate, $1900 seems to be too close to the price of new to be competitive.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Nice, though it must be hard on the tools.

Reply to
krw