Small volume mortar mixing

I've got a few projects coming up that I'd like to save my energy spent mixing mortar by hand for the project itself.

I work alone & don't work for long any more- so mix one batch and I'm done for the day. It is time to automate that part so I can expend the energy on stacking block, plastering, or finishing.

I've used a mud mixer on a 1/2" drill with some success- up to a gallon or two of mud. But without a stand it isn't really a whole lot easier than mixing in a tub with a mortar hoe.

The one I have is like this

great for paint & wallboard mud- not so much for dryer stuff like mortar. I might buy/build a stand & see if that helps any.

I'm also looking at one of these--

I've got a 1/2hp motor on my cement mixer- so I could get the M-60 without motor for a couple hundred bucks- or I might make a 'tipping' one & just buy the paddle.

Any thoughts?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Works great for paint & wallboard mud- not so much for dryer stuff

Work wise I am in the same boat as you.

I would think the time and effort to haul and clean anything would be about the same as mixing in tub with a hoe for a single bag of mix.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Works great for paint & wallboard mud- not so much for dryer stuff

You could use a wetback recliner. Here's on on Craigslist:

HeyBub

so I can expend

my best friend cut the top out a old propane tank and turned it into a mini cement mixer.

i believe harbor freight now sells a real small mixer too

Reply to
hallerb

Swap out your spiral mixer for one like this:

Works great for plaster, mortar, etc. Needs a heavy 1/2" drill motor. The biggest problem is hanging onto the bucket. I usually just put one foot on it, but I have always meant to make something to hold the bucket.

Reply to
DanG

Plans for a vintage homemade "midget mixer".

pdf

Oren

-snip-

Some interesting ideas there-- but note that it is a cement mixer which I have. I think it could be adapted easy enough, and I like some of the mechanics of that design.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

-snip-

I've got a cement mixer. An old cast iron thing that will gobble up

3-4 bags of ready-mix at a time. It does a great job for cement- even if I just need a single bag.

But mortar is a different animal- and I like to keep it stiff.

Most mortar mixers have paddles moving in a drum rather than the drum turning.

This one has been tempting me, too- last time I liked it was $130- now it is down to $99. . . . .

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Wow. Thanks Oren, that's a really neat thing.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Have you seen the Odjob bucket mixer? It's easy and cheap - easy to clean, too. Far better than a mortar tub and hoe for mixing.

's pretty idiot proof - drop in a 60# bag of concrete or mortar mix, the lid doubles as a water container with measuring marks, screw on the lid and kick it back and forth for a couple of minutes. Good to go. If you have any rug rats around it's something they can easily do.

RicodJour