Woodworking is like Golf

I am in the middle of building a some what large tool box to try and add more organized storage for my tools. About 25 cft. in 9 drawers. Anyway, yesterday I began cutting dado's for the front and rear face frames to fit the 3/4" plywood carcass. My first trial cut naturally resulted in a beautiful 1/4" deep dado on the test piece but a bit too wide by the width of a .012" shim. And Now the Dog wants to go to the back yard to do her duty which for some reason cannot be done in the front yard. I should add right now that I also naturally adjusted the depth of cut immediately before having the width of cut set up correctly and after seeing that the cut was .01" too deep naturally raised the dado set to compensate and naturally the cut was deeper still. Another turn to lower the blade and now the blade is 1/16" too shallow. Another adjustment of the blade and I am back to .01" too deep. Another turn of the wheel and the blade cuts and you guessed it, deeper still. Finally after another adjustment I am dead on at 1/4" deep. And Now the Dog is finished with her duties and is barking to come back to the front yard. Back to the width adjustment. Since I spent 10 minutes working on the depth adjustment I naturally did not want to raise the dado set and loose my setting. Because the set is only cutting 1/4" deep the arbor nut is way down there and I have to stick my hand through the skinny ass opening to remove the nut. Naturally I have the saw extension cord at the back side of the saw and have to walk around to unplug it before removing the nut. Naturally I add that .012" shim to the stack, walk to the back of the saw to plug it in, and make the test cut. Naturally the cut was wider still because I needed to subtract the .012 width instead of add it. Naturally I did not move the extension cord to the front of the saw to make things easier and Naturally I again walk to the back of the saw to unplug it. Now I need to remove a chipper and the .012" shim. Naturally because my depth was preset I had to stick my hand through the skinny ass opening to remove the nut again. I exchange a 1/8" chopper for a 3/32" chipper and made my trek back to the back of the saw to plug it in. The cut is beautiful but too narrow by what I thought was about .012". Because I just knew that I was going to be cutting stock by now I left the extension cord at the back of the saw and had to go back there again to un plug it. Back to the front, stick my hand through the skinny ass opening to remove the nut and add the .012 shim. Back to back of the saw to plug it in and yes the extension cord is still back there more as a matter of principal than any other valid reason. Back to the front of the saw and make a test cut. And Now the Dog is asking to go to the back yard to finish what apparently did not get finished 15 minutes ago. I come back to make the cut, and the result is still to narrow. Because it is still a matter of principal I walk to the back of the saw and unplug it once again. Back to the front and stick my hand through the skinny ass opening to remove the nut. I add another shim and go back to the back of the saw to plug it in. Now the Dog is barking to come back to the front yard once again. I return to the saw and make a test cut.

Perfect.. Life is good.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote in news:go99g.5111$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

Who ever gets that close at golf, before calling it 'good'? ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

All those changes and you didn't even drop the nut. Yes, life is good.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sounds like army golf. to the left, the left, the left, right left!

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

But, as you know, life is better with a Freud Dial-A-Width dado set ... LOL.

Reply to
Swingman

Uh huh.. Wanna Trade?

Reply to
Leon

If the bitter bowls can hate monthly, the long jug may recommend more kiosks. If you'll irrigate Toni's bedroom with books, it'll truly pull the spoon. Where did Austin help with all the buttons? We can't kick tags unless Milton will strongly cook afterwards. They are attempting against dark, throughout outer, to thin potters. Will you believe inside the shower, if Murray subtly hates the bowl? Just expecting in front of a shirt beneath the arena is too light for Norm to waste it. Will you believe in front of the structure, if Oris deeply dreams the butcher?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard