Woodworking bench

can anyone suggest a good set of plans for a woodworkers bench? I want to build a 30x60 bench that is not too complicated. It will be my first, so take it easy with me!! thanks

Reply to
Tom

Check this one out.

luck!

Mike

Reply to
Mike W.

I built the weekend bench from Woodsmith and used a solid core oak door as the top with laminated 2x4 construction for the support. Was quick, inexpensive and works well enough for me so far. The legs are braced together with lag bolts and the top is attached to the base with lag screws. 1/2 inch. Very sturdy and can be taken apart to move if you need to. Cost me about $100.00 Cdn to build. (High Estimate)

John V

Reply to
JohnV

I see that Bernie Hunt

still is posting the drawings I made up (dwg and pdf format) of a bench styled after one from FWW. Yours for the taking.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

John Carlson

There have been a number of questions in the last few months asking for help building a workbench. I was wondering how many folks have a Garden Way maple workbench. (The last time I saw the top of mine was about nine years ago.) If I remember correctly, the bench was mail order only, it cost a couple hundred dollars and came un-assembled.

It is still rock solid after almost thirty years and four moves. The whole bench is made from hard maple, about 30" x 60" overall and stands about 35" tall.

Two woodworking vises, 18" wide. Steel vise screws with hard maple laminated wood jaw faces.The hard maple faces rotate 180 degrees. In one position the top of the face is level with the top of the bench. Rotated 180 degrees, the top is about 3/4" above the bench to aid clamping flat stock. Dogs are 3/4" steel pins fit in spaced holes with removable maple blocks to work with the projecting vise face and secure panels and wide stock.

A very simple design and exceptionally well built. It'll probably out live me. You wouldn't go wrong building something similar.

I just wondered if anyone still has their Garden Way or can recall the bench.

John Flatley Jacksonville, FL

-- (When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded.)

Reply to
John E. Flatley, Jr.

I built the simple one from "FWW" Issue 91, Dec 91. Works very well, and prob cost about $60 max in pine.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

A couple of used kitchen base cabinets of whatever configuration you want with a top is quick and inexpensive.

There's a picture of mine on my shop page...

grade lumber. The plywood top probably the most expensive part. I built it sturdy ( I wouldn't be afraid of putting 1000# on it). Works for me. Hope it gives you an idea. The only problem I have with those kind in the uppity woodwooking magazines is that I'd be afraid to get them dirty. I want to dust them with lemon pledge and display it my dining room. Good luck. Joe kb8qlr

Reply to
kb8qlr

of years ago and it is solid as a rock. Besides, the guy who designed it, Bob Key, is a heck of a nice guy.

Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Dick Durbin

The magazine is American Woodworker (pages 42-51).

Reply to
JAW