Woodworker's Journal: Yea or Nay?

SNIP

Charlie,

Just out of curiosity, in a tool-review-for-magazine situation, who decides what vendors get represented? I have read reviews where I have thought "So-and-so make this as well, I wonder why their version was not tested". If it's a case that a vendor was contacted but declined to participate, then I think that should be mentioned in the review.

Thanks,

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Hi Chris -

I can answer that for you...

Our house brand bits are made in a Taiwan factory - and at the factory's highest quality level. The plant can (and does) make at least 3 quality levels (the lowest is called "America style") - and has a sister plant in China...Many companies buy from them, and at differing quality levels. Sometimes - companies buy the highest quality for open stock - but use the lower quality for sets (to keep the prices competitive). The only way to tell is to ask the vendor for the country of origin, and see if they'll confirm the quality level.

We've been buying from the same place for at least a decade now...and continue be be very happy with them.

Cheers -

Rob Lee Lee Valley

Reply to
Robin Lee

I guess this may represent the "real world" somewhat but it doesn't address what I think the reader needs. If I'm going to buy a meat cutting tablesaw, then I'd like to know how all the models I could possibly buy compare to each other. Wishful thinking on my part, perhaps.

I do find reviews useful, though, even if they don't cover all the models I'd like them to consider. They:

  1. Sometimes identify design considerations I hadn't appreciated.
  2. Sometimes describe features I wasn't aware of and might find useful.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

Ouch - however, stereotypes aren't made up out of thin air.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the reply - duh, should have asked you to start with :)

Do you know - and can you tell us - what distinquishes the different quality levels at this factory?

Thanks, Chris

factory's

quality

levels.