Woodpecker Rules

still trying to figure

Easy enough to do, depending on interpretation of when loading starts and stops. Think about ALL the steps, such as picking it up (wrongly) and putting it down (wrongly). I think it is done during the beginning or end of the procedure, not the actual putting bullets in a clip. Dammit, I thought I shot them all.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not the first time the threat of gun control has entered politics. I suspect gun shops and manufacturers actually look forward to yet another threat of more regulation, it brings the paranoid out to buy guns.

Actually I am considering not going for the first time in 30+ years. The Wood Working Shows is probably attractive if you have not been to many shows. But in the past the shows used to attract every brand name you could think of. Compared to 8~10 years ago when they were bigger, think the size of a couple of your local Super Markets put together compared to a single convenience store. Currently the Houston show is outside Houston in a smaller adjacent town, at the high school gymnasium.

BTW, what city was your show in?

Reply to
Leon

I'm still trying to figure

Is true or not that the hammer's can fall on those 45's without pulling the trigger? The hammer "ready to fall" sort of bothers me (compared to a revolver).

Reply to
Bill

still trying to figure

45 auto. Put the clip back in the gun, released the slide and pulled the trigger to uncock the hammer but the hammer slipped.

At least the bullet hit the right person.

Reply to
Leon

Haven't been in the last three years, and the only thing I miss is the opportunity to buy another WWII at a discount. :)

Reply to
Swingman

On the Colt 45 auto, the hammer will not release of the gun barrel is pushed towards the hammer and or if the back of the grip is not depressed. There is a built in lever in the grip that must be depressed for the hammer to release.

Had he released the slide prior to putting in the clip this would not have happened, there would have not been a bullet in the chamber. As it is he probably reloaded in the manor that immediately chambers a bullet when releasing the slide. In the later sequence the gun is ready to fire immediately.

Reply to
Leon

I went to the show in Indianapolis.It appears that it may occupy twice as much floor space as the Houston show. Peachtree Woodworking must occupy close to 1000 square feet on their own. I would guesstimate the number of exhibitors at 25 (Doug Miller, What is your guess?).

I think it was easier to get a seat for a workshop then in recent years. I'm not sure whether this was due to them having more of them going on at the same time, or whether attendance may have been slightly less. Maybe both. $10-12 admission, $5 parking.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

I'd put the size of Peachtree's booth at about 1600 square feet, actually. It's huge.

I think the number of vendors is probably closer to 35 than 25, too -- there are a number of small booths, perhaps only 8'x10' or so, near the entrance.

Seemed that way to me, too.

I think attendance was down this year compared to last -- probably due in part to the huge attendance at the gun show right next door. I'm guessing some folks went to the gun show who might otherwise have gone to the wood show, and there may have been a few people intending to attend the wood show who saw the heavy traffic trying to get into the fairgrounds and gave up and went home.

Admission was actually a dollar cheaper this year ($10 online vs. $11). I don't remember when they raised parking from $3 to $5, but I think that was a couple years ago.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Point of order... Lest we here start to sound like ignorant media types...

I've twice read of "clips" in this thread. Clips were used in olden times to hold a loading of rifle cartridges together for rapid insertion into the rifles MAGAZINE. The only clips I am aware of with regard to handguns or, for that matter, any modern firearm are "half moon" clips which are used to hold .45Auto cartridges in the cylinders of certain revolvers chambered for same.

Guns do not possess free will. They only fire when external forces intervene, like a finger inside a trigger guard when the person has no intention of firing. It's no accident, it is, at best an "unintentional discharge" but usually just stupidity.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Yep, forgot all about those moon clips ... you needed someway to hold them for the firing pin, and to pull them out of a revolver that would use the same rimless 45 ACP as the 1911.

Wayback machine ... :)

Reminded me to talk to my 90 year old Dad and discuss the disposition of the 1911 he brought back from WWII .... however, the way he's going he'll outlive me.

Reply to
Swingman

In addition to the half moon clips there were full moon clips for revolvers also... and stripper clips for some of the old semi-auto handguns with fixed magazines. We can probably expect a return to fixed magazine semi-auto pistol technology to get around the new 7 round limit in NY... people will buy them!

When it comes to guns it's hard to find anything that can be said with certainty!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I think you are confusing "clips" with "stripper clips".

in general hold ammunition. Stripper clips enabled you to you to quickly strip the ammunition, whether it be into a weapon or simply to empty the clip.

The more commonly referred to "clip" houses the ammunition inside the gun, this is a modern and common style of clip.

The only clips I am aware of with regard to

Reply to
Leon

Here's one:

Swingman

>>> Clips in general hold ammunition. Stripper clips enabled you to you to

>>And to clarify,

Leon

>> ;)

LOVE IT!

Reply to
Leon

Doug Miller wrote in news:XnsA14DE7B45DD02dougmilmaccom@88.198.244.100:

I've got a Trend AirShield Pro that I'm only partially satisfied with. I agree with most of what you've said, but disagree on 1 and 3. I know it's more than just a face shield, but it's the only way I've found to keep the fogging down. (It also lets me get away from using the mask, which is nice.)

I did buy a face shield from Home Depot some time ago (at your suggestion, actually) and found that either it or my glasses still fogged up.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I like the sign (on the outside of a door) that says "This door is just here to protect YOU, NOT ME" (picture of gun below the words)!

Reply to
Bill

One of my neighbors has a small sine near his door that says,

There is nothing in this house worth dying over.

Reply to
Leon

> I like the sign (on the outside of a door) that says "This door is just

I can just see it now ... all three, on separate posts, a la Burma Shave, on the way up the driveway.

Reply to
Swingman

Now that's funny. Read a bunch of examples here for inspiration and a smile--better than being locked in a cell, without a file:

Bill