wooden screw parts needed

I am building a woodworker's bench as part of a class I'm taking through our local woodworker's guild. The bench has a tail vise and a front vise on it. I would like to use wooden screw parts on the tail vise, and maybe the front as well. I am having trouble finding a supplier of wooden screws already made or the tap and die set to make my own. I do not have a lathe so if I tap my own, it will have to be from a dowel. This is not ideal as I am building the bench out of beech and would like beech screws due to the characteristics of the wood. Or maybe I could find a beech dowel somewhere? DAGS turned up nothing of value. I know this items are out there. Can anyone help with a supplier?

Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Don't know about the specie, but give Highland Hardware a look. Think they carry the larger tap and screw box sets. If not them, try Garrett Wade. Both have sites, just Google with their names in the bar.

Reply to
Brent Beal

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:17:54 -0600, the inscrutable "bob" spake:

Nobody makes them that large any more. For about $150, you can get the router-powered (less router) 1-1/2" dowelmaking kit from Beall. OR For about $15 at most stores, you can buy a GREAT book and make your own tap and screwbox:

The Woodwright's Workbook Further Explorations in Traditional Woodcraft by Roy Underhill

259 pp., 81/2 x 11, 239 illus. $18.95 paper ISBN 0-8078-4157-9

Table of Contents for The Woodwright's Workbook

Annotated Text of The Debate of the Carpenter's Tools Making Workbenches Making Screwboxes and Taps for Wood Threading Constructing Springpole and Treadle Lathes Building a Carpenter's Tool Chest Rustic Chairs Hickory-Bark Chair Bottoms Turned High Chair Weaving a Cattail Reed Chair Seat A Loom-Back Chair Ladders, Folding Bookstands, Eggbeaters, and Music Mills Making a Rowboat A Field Guide to American Tool Marks Building a Colonial Fort, a Barn, and a Blacksmith Shop

Update:

Used copies from $4!

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to