Wooden outdoor furniture: Headache?

Well, for sailboats, it depends upon how much time there is between changing tack. If one is on a starboard tack for 24 hours and then changes to a port tack, the starboard side that was up has dried out considerably; since it is now down, it is going to leak considerably for a while. Ditto the reverse. That's why there are bilge pumps :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Isn't amazing what a little paint will do? Dang near changes the whole appearance. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Jack wrote in news:nmqrc7$a6l$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Going off on a tangent, but 20 years ago there was a big fuss for people planting teak trees in Central America. Costa Rica mostly. I wonder what happened with that. It always came across as a bit of an investment scam - "send us your money and you'll own this tree! And in 20 years we'll cut it down and sell the wood, and you'll get 10x your money back!".

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I own three stars. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Good eye. My son built two of these, one for a high school project that he donated to an OldTimers nursing home, and then one he made for me. I had to look back and forth to see they were a bit different. Both were built around the same time, from the same plans he got off the internet.

I wouldn't worry about sitting on PT furniture, and really wouldn't worry about it after it was coated with paint. I wouldn't eat the stuff, but even bugs and mold isn't dumb enough to eat that crap. The biggest downside (imo) to PT is cutting and sanding it. I hate working with it, but wouldn't worry much unless I did it for a living, day in and day out.

Reply to
Jack

ch year because no one is growing it. I have chairs that have been in the weather for 20 years with nothing more than some polyurethane every couple of years. The last great cypress I bought was from Wilson Lumber in Memphis .

ack chair I can smell the fresh lumber.

But the problem with cypress is that the to get the weather resistance its noted for, you need to get old growth, or at least heart wood from the newe r stuff. The sapwood is almost as weather sensitive as pine.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I own some prime real estate on the Moon. I'll strike it rich before you will. ;-)

Reply to
krw

+1

If you plan on painting (or any finish that will hide any color variations in the wood or other wood-like features, Trex is wonderful stuff. Looks just like painted wood.

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

I have a wooden patio set that I bought at the end of season many years ago . It has weathered to a nice grey finish. It sits on a concrete patio dur ing the summer, where it is exposed to the sun and wind. I put it inside f or the winter months here in Toronto (usually October to April). It has la sted longer and looks better than any of my neighbours plastic or aluminum/ glass sets. I have often considered refinishing it in oil but have never d one so knowing that if I do it once, I will have to keep doing it.

Reply to
Jimbo