Outdoor furniture wood choices

Got the world from La SWMBO to built 4 adirondack chairs.There are two choices of wood available to me cypress and eastern red cedar.The cypress is not the sinkers kind but from a little search is just as good as cedar for outdoors properties.Im kinda leaning to go cypress since it is a hardwood and the cedar is not.

Reply to
martin

Cypress seems like a good choice to me.

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

I'd go with cypress. You can see a couple of things I've made with it on my web page.

Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

Nicely done!

John Marietta, GA

Reply to
John Anderson

made outdoor furniture here (Ontario Canada), although I have yet to find a local source for the wood itself.

I like what I read about it and the look of it, but wondered if anyone in the group has any experience working with it?

Reply to
David D

Thanks, John.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I made several folding Adirondack chairs from Cypress, including 2 for a hospital charity auctionthat brought $950. They looked great, but I found I had to be really careful not to split it. Predrill all holes and finish driving the screws by hand (not by drill driver). It may not be considered a softwood, but I found it very light weight. Finishes beautifully with an oil finish.

Good luck, Art

mart>Got the world from La SWMBO to built 4 adirondack chairs.There are two

Reply to
Art and Diane

Cypress is a softwood, e.g. the tree is a conifer.

Reply to
fredfighter

Last time I was at Costco's, they had a nice Adirondack chair with an ottoman made from a nice looking "teakish" wood with brass looking hardware for something like $130. While I think I could buy enough PT wood to build the set for that much, I couldn't buy enough decent wood or anything like the "teakish" wood for that price. And for those who feel that building the chair is the important part, it comes flat-packed and you do have to put it together :-)

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall